[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Expanded Memory Emulators, an opinions?

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (03/07/90)

There are a number of different EMS emulators I can choose to use the
extended RAM on my 386sx system.  I could buy QEMM 386, 386 MAX,
386 MAX Professional, Above Disk, Turbo EMS, or others.

With all these options, I am at a loss to pick one.  For the money,
QEMM looks to be the best buy, but will it perform reliably?  (I see quite
a few gotchas about it on the net of late.)

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions and experiences with
commercial memory managers.  Which one(s) would you give thumbs up?

Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/09/90)

I QEMM 4.23.  I works perfectly fine after some twesking and experimenting
around.  PC Magazine just did a review of the new QEMM 5.0.  They liked it
slightly better than 386 to the Max.  I would read the review.  I have never
used any emulators besides QEMM, so I can't really give a qualified
review of differences.

                                                Brent H. Besler

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/09/90)

In article <881@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM> gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
|There are a number of different EMS emulators I can choose to use the
|extended RAM on my 386sx system.  I could buy QEMM 386, 386 MAX,
|386 MAX Professional, Above Disk, Turbo EMS, or others.
|
|With all these options, I am at a loss to pick one.  For the money,
|QEMM looks to be the best buy, but will it perform reliably?  (I see quite
|a few gotchas about it on the net of late.)
|
|I'd be interested in hearing your opinions and experiences with
|commercial memory managers.  Which one(s) would you give thumbs up?

I use QEMM-386, Version 5.0. It is very finicky and I have had crashes
that I simply don't understand, like when I exclude the VGA BIOS area
from mapping. Eventually I have worked my way around them.

386Max is in my opinion superior because they can loadhi device drivers
like Sun PC-NFS sockdrv.sys which QEMM-386 can not. I have not done
this but people say it works.

I don't think Above Disk or Turbo EMS use the 386 MMU. As far as I can
tell, Qualitas has the best product.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
A PC without DESQview is like Unix without ^Z.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/10/90)

In article <29431@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>386Max is in my opinion superior because they can loadhi device drivers
>like Sun PC-NFS sockdrv.sys which QEMM-386 can not. I have not done
>this but people say it works.

What do you mean by this?  In case people get the wrong impression, QEMM CAN
loadhi device drivers.  You just use loadhi.sys rather than loadhi.com.  Is
there something special about sockdrv.sys that only 386Max can handle?

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/10/90)

In article <5060@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
|In article <29431@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
|>386Max is in my opinion superior because they can loadhi device drivers
|>like Sun PC-NFS sockdrv.sys which QEMM-386 can not. I have not done
|>this but people say it works.
|
|What do you mean by this?  In case people get the wrong impression, QEMM CAN
|loadhi device drivers.  You just use loadhi.sys rather than loadhi.com.  Is
|there something special about sockdrv.sys that only 386Max can handle?

Yes. I should clarify and say that, yes, I do LOADHI drivers like
pcnfs.sys, ansi.sys, mouse.sys, etc. QD can not LOADHI sockdrv.sys.
(they said in response to my question) 386Max can (I hear).

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
The Microsoft Mouse is the only mouse worth having on a PC.