[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Editors and huge files

cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) (02/28/90)

I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
offer me.

Jeff Cooper
cooper@plains.nodak.edu

kchen@castor.usc.edu (02/28/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP> cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
::I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
::Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
::QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
::when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
::loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
::is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
::I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
::offer me.
::
::Jeff Cooper
::cooper@plains.nodak.edu

Try I?M Personal Editor II which has no limit of the file size as long as
you have space on disk to store temp file.
If the memory is not enough to store the big file, it automatically create
a temp file to store it.
It also has the most powerful block commands to do cut and paste.

It is programmable, but very slow.
It has not limit to open files and at most can open 4 windows in one screen.

All together, I love to use it to write programs using its powerful cut and
paste. For word processing, better try other editor.

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/28/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP>, cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
> I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
> Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
> QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
> when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
> loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
> is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
> I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
> offer me.

I think the program editor (PE.EXE) in word perfect library might help
you.  I've not worked with files as big as 2 mB (though I think I've
done a couple around 720k).  I believe this editor sets up auxilliary
files on disk to handle overflows (upwards or downwards) when an
entire file will not fit into RAM.  Of course it takes forever
to load a big file (on my AT with a 28ms. hard drive), and moving down
large numbers of lines is a lot slower than it is for a document which
fits into RAM.  Again, I'm not 100% positive that it will handle
2mB files, but there's a good chance it will.

If you use OS/2, I believe the OS/2 system editor should be able to
handle big files too (probably not an option for most readers!).
Douglas Baer, Assoc. Prof., Dept. of Sociology,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX
Telephone: [home] (519)-657-4799 *most reliable number
           [office] (519)-661-3859
           [leave messages, M-F 9-4pm EST] (519)-661-3606

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (02/28/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP> cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
>Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
>QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
>when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
>loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
>is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
>I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
>offer me.

Ahem.  (glance around to make sure no one is listening)

Dare I suggest (gasp) WordStar?

I've used releases 3.3, 4.0, and 5.0 with files >1.2MB, so I assume it will
handle 2MB just fine, too.

And yes, I even still use WordStar.  And admit it in public.  :-) :-)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

bryan@stiatl.UUCP (Bryan Donaldson) (02/28/90)

cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
>Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
>QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
>when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
>loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
>is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
>I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
>offer me.
>Jeff Cooper
>cooper@plains.nodak.edu

MIght I suggest the Norton Editor?  I know it will work on 2M files
as I've used it on 4m files.  You will need enough space on disk
for another copy of the file, but that shouldn't be too much of a
problem.

It's available from :
	Peter Norton Computing, Inc.
	2210 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 186
	Santa Monica, CA 90403
	(213) 453-2361

It's also available through most mail order houses. The price
is usually in the $30 to $60 range.

BGD.

--
Bryan Donaldson                                             gatech!stiatl!bryan
Sales Technologies, Inc

robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Bob Robison) (02/28/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP> cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
>Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
>Jeff Cooper
>cooper@plains.nodak.edu

I haven't tried it on files that big, but the Norton Editor (Peter
Norton Utilities) claims to handle files of any size.  I have used it on
files larger than I had memory for and it swaps to disk as required.
Price is reasonable too, around $50.

bob

--
Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu

randy@uutopia.dell.com (randy) (02/28/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP>, cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
> I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
> Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  (I'd prefer the
latter, I have enough memory but
> I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
> offer me.
>
> Jeff Cooper
> cooper@plains.nodak.edu

You don't state the particulars of your needs, but I would like to
suggest Brief.  I have used in in program development and repairing
damaged files.  In the case of the latter, Brief is particularly
effective as it will also edit lines of 512 characters.  It has macros
and is customizable for various languages also.  As I recall it is not
terribly expensive.  OS/2 and DOS version also.

Randy

Randy Price                      randy@uutopia.dell.com
The opinions are my own, not my employers, cognito.

"There is no expedient to which man will not resort
to avoid the real labor of thinking."
                           Thomas Edison

piety@hplred.HP.COM (Bob Piety) (03/01/90)

I like Epsilon (from Lugaru Software).  Its an EMACS-like editor and
comes with an extender/compiler to let you customize it.

It is "disk-based" in that any size file can be edited-- it swaps
blocks in and out of RAM as needed.  I've edited files over 10 MB in
size.

If you like emacs, you'll like epsilon.

Bob

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (03/01/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP> cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
>Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought
>QEdit could, but it's limited to 640K and so cuts the file off
>when it runs out of memory.  I really don't care if the editor
>loads the whole thing into RAM or reads it off the disk as it
>is needed.  (I'd prefer the latter, I have enough memory but
>I'd like a "disk based" editor)  Thanks for any help anyone can
>offer me.

I use the SEE editor from C Ware.  You normally get it with their C
compiler, but I get it separately for $10 per copy in units of 5 or
more.  It's very easy to learn and use.  I can teach it to a new user
in about 15 minutes.  It does most everything you need.  Search and
replace, cut and paste.  Copy to/from other files.  Edit two files at
a time.  Paragraph wrapping.  It finds matching parens and braces.
Auto indent.  Macro recording.  Sets colors for foreground/background.
You can insert non-printing characters by entering their ASCII decimal
equivalents.  It's designed as a C language editor and you can use
their compiler from within it.  It allows escape to DOS shells, so
you can run other programs while in the editor - if you have enough
available RAM.  It uses about 110K itself.  You can define up to 4
tags in the file and then jump to them with a simple command.  They
are useful as place markers.  If you enter a pound sign while in
command mode, it will give you the line and column you are on.  You
can jump to any line in the file by typing the line number followed
by a #.  You can put tabs every n places.  All commands are intuitive.
You don't even need a manual.

I just tested it out with a 2.5 MB file.  It worked fine.  It takes 12
seconds to get to the bottom on a Dell 386/25.  All-in-all it's about
100 times better than vi.  MUCH easier to learn and use.  It's so simple,
that even occasional users have no problem.  VERY highly recommended.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (03/01/90)

In article <9159@stiatl.UUCP> bryan@stiatl.UUCP (Bryan Donaldson) writes:
}MIght I suggest the Norton Editor?  I know it will work on 2M files
}as I've used it on 4m files.  You will need enough space on disk
}for another copy of the file, but that shouldn't be too much of a
}problem.

I think Norton Editor has a problem with long lines.  I don't know
what the max is, but it has annoyed me a few times!

...Terry.

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/01/90)

    I use Epsilon for files that are multi-megabyte.  I consider it to be
the best editor on any machine; it is our department standard.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/01/90)

Is this another editor war?

At any rate, Epsilon will do it, even if it isn't an ascii file!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/01/90)

}
}You don't state the particulars of your needs, but I would like to
}suggest Brief.  I have used in in program development and repairing
}damaged files.  In the case of the latter, Brief is particularly
}effective as it will also edit lines of 512 characters.  It has macros

Only 512 characters?  Sprint will handle arbitrarily long lines--when I first
bought it, I made up a test file consisting of a single 70,000-character
line.  Sprint handled it just fine (except that the column count overflowed
its 16-bit counter).  Although I've never had occasion to edit multi-meg
files, Sprint does handle files much larger than available memory.  I regularly
edit a 600K file in a 250K partition under DESQview....

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

sadow@ncsatl.uucp (Scott C. Sadow) (03/01/90)

   Try hte Norton Editor. Not only is it fast, but if it cannot load the entire
file into memory, you can "page" through the file. I have edited files
well over 1 meg before...

--

Scott Sadow			...gatech!ncsatl!sadow

sadow@ncsatl.uucp (Scott C. Sadow) (03/01/90)

In article <21402@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu
(Terry Gauchat) writes:
> In article <9159@stiatl.UUCP> bryan@stiatl.UUCP (Bryan Donaldson) writes:
> }MIght I suggest the Norton Editor?  I know it will work on 2M files
> }as I've used it on 4m files.  You will need enough space on disk
> }for another copy of the file, but that shouldn't be too much of a
> }problem.
>
> I think Norton Editor has a problem with long lines.  I don't know
> what the max is, but it has annoyed me a few times!
>

> ...Terry.

   According to the Norton Editor Documentation, it can handle lines up to
64k. (I have edited files with lines beyond 32k with no problems)

   (By the way - another good thing about the Norton Editor - it is FAST)

--

Scott Sadow			...gatech!ncsatl!sadow

celoni@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Jim Celoni) (03/01/90)

I've used both Borland's Sprint ($60 academic, $120 street, $195 list)
and Lugaru's Epsilon ($125 street, $195 list) to edit multi-megabyte
files.  I use Borland's user interface, though you can switch between
that one and others that mimic Emacs, Wordstar, FinalWord, Microsoft
Word, WordPerfect, Multimate, Sidekick, etc.).  +j

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (03/02/90)

From article <3658@plains.UUCP>, by cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper):
> I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
> Does anyone know of any editors that can handle this?  I thought

Try Multi-Edit, available as ME400A.ARC on Simtel and elsewhere.  I would
only use it if you have a fairly fast computer or hard drive;  on my 8 MHz
XT with a dog Seagate HD, editing huge files is unbearable.

Multi-Edit can be configured to use either disk swapping files or
expanded memory.
---
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu               USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
                                                 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

trent@uncecs.edu (Glenn Jordan) (03/02/90)

  If you want Brief, but can't afford it, you will find BlackBeard editor
an inexpensive shareware Brief clone. (BB instead of B)
  It is available from SIMTEL20 in the pd1:<msdos.editors> by FTP or listserv.
The latest version was BLKBD746.ARC, released recently, but I have had trouble
with that one and still use the BLKBD739 earlier version, which seems flawless
and is quite powerful. If you register, you will get a Blackbeard coffee mug!

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) (03/06/90)

On 27 Feb 90 23:36:03 GMT,
cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) said:

Jeff> I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.

PCTools v4+ has a decent word processor that uses overlays and
therefore has no limit.  Borland's editor in the various Turbo
languages can use EMS for the, so that may work if you have the
expanded memory for it.  Nortans?  Ick.

--
/*********/
     Paul Caskey

djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) (03/10/90)

In article <3658@plains.UUCP> cooper@plains.UUCP (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.

KEDIT 4.0 uses extended memory.  I don't prefer to work with 2 M files, but
KEDIT will report 3+ M available when I run it on my 4M 386.  Besides,
KEDIT is a really nice editor!

KEDIT 4.0
Mansfield Software Group, Inc.
PO Box 532
Storrs, CT  06268
(203)-429-8402

Just a satisfied customer...

					Dan

--
	Dan Beauvais                  {backbone}!rti!bbt!djb
	BroadBand Technologies, Inc.    (919)-544-6850 x 295

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (03/11/90)

>  Resp: 21 of 21 by djb at bbt.UUCP
>>I'm looking for a editor that can work with HUGE (2 meg) files.
>KEDIT 4.0 uses extended memory.  I don't prefer to work with 2 M files, but
                ^^^^^^^^
   I believe this is wrong. Kedit uses EXPANDED (EMS) memory. It actually
uses both conventional and expanded. If you have 700K of expanded
available, and 300K of conventional, you can work on up to 1M worth of
files (you can have several open at the same time.)  KEDIT is a really nice
TEXT editor (it is NOT a word processor.) The macro language is fairly nice
(but not as nice as Borland's Sprint!)

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM