[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Conner's disk & controller experience.

sek@cernvax.cern.ch (stig kristensen) (02/22/90)

I would like to hear net.peoples' experience with Conner's harddisks
(especially 3 1/2" drives) and Conner's disk controllers.

Thanks in advance,
	Stig Kristensen.

RR.PPE@forsythe.stanford.edu (02/24/90)

In article <1581@cernvax.UUCP>,
sek@cernvax.cern.ch (stig kristensen) writes:
>I would like to hear net.peoples' experience with Conner's harddisks
>(especially 3 1/2" drives) and Conner's disk controllers.

We have had two Conner CP-342 drives fail in a Dell236 machine.
The first one was replaced under warranty the other one not.
There is some possibility that it might have been caused by
the Dell power supply (too small, underpowered) rather than
by Conner's quality control.  We wrote to both manufacturers
about it but received no response.

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (03/06/90)

I've had a Conner 104 Meg drive with Chicony controller for a few months
now.  The Conner's are supposed to be rated 40,000 hours mean-time-before-
failure (yes, that's 4.5 years).  I've had no problems in my HP Vectra,
other than finding the right mounting brackets, since the older Vectras
have "different" rails.  Other than that, nothing's been a problem- the
drives are *tiny* (3.5 inch, half height) and light (as in, I had to search
through the box popcorn before I realized the drive was in there!) and very
quiet.  Also, is a SCSI disk, so I can get good transfer rates, and the
Chicony controller emulates an ST506 (for compatibility with software that
likes to see Seagate controllers).  Had done quite and extensive search before
buying and am quite pleased with what I ended up with...

					kevin

ps: I bought mine through B&W systems in MD- 301-963-5800- they were
    exceptional about answering questions and the general hand-holding that
    goes with us engineers shelling out large sums of money...

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (03/08/90)

In article <40970051@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:

>I've had a Conner 104 Meg drive with Chicony controller for a few months
>now.  The Conner's are supposed to be rated 40,000 hours mean-time-before-
>failure (yes, that's 4.5 years).  I've had no problems in my HP Vectra,
>other than finding the right mounting brackets, since the older Vectras
>have "different" rails.  Other than that, nothing's been a problem- the
>drives are *tiny* (3.5 inch, half height) and light (as in, I had to search
>through the box popcorn before I realized the drive was in there!) and very
>quiet.  Also, is a SCSI disk, so I can get good transfer rates, and the
>Chicony controller emulates an ST506 (for compatibility with software that
>likes to see Seagate controllers).  Had done quite and extensive search before
>buying and am quite pleased with what I ended up with...
>
>					kevin

the store i work for just started selling these drives, (IDE, tho, rather than
 SCSI) and i think they are awesome! you can stick your ear on the case and
it will boot SILENTLY!  very impresive..  attractive too   heheh

my problem is that i have no documentation at all, if you could send me
 anythingyou have in the way of specs, i would greatly appreciate it.

also, anyone know what IDE stands for?
thanks,
tim
.

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (03/08/90)

In article <12957@udenva.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Trippin' (Flippin') Tim) writes:
>In article <40970051@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
>
>also, anyone know what IDE stands for?
>thanks,
>tim
>.

I believe it stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. The drives are also
called AT drives by some people since the integrated electronics clones
an AT controller.

Mike Ching

tgoldin@amherst.bitnet (03/09/90)

In article <12957@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
> the store i work for just started selling these drives, (IDE, tho, rather than
>  SCSI) and i think they are awesome! you can stick your ear on the case and
> it will boot SILENTLY!  very impresive..  attractive too   heheh

Yeah, we have a few and they are pretty quite, but one of them just crashed
(after only four months).  the drive fails "initialization."  I tried all of
the usual tricks (checking connections, etc.) and it is definately dead.
..I'll post again if there are further details.

Theo

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/11/90)

In article <29420@amdcad.AMD.COM>, ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes:
> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Trippin' (Flippin') Tim) writes:
> >
> >also, anyone know what IDE stands for?
>
> I believe it stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. The drives are also
> called AT drives by some people since the integrated electronics clones
> an AT controller.

	Actually, the AT/IDE designation is to differentiate from the
XT/IDE designation, which are slightly different. Either way, the drive
controller is mostly on the drive itself.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine