[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA support in Jove.

chris@iesd.auc.dk (Christian J. Callsen) (03/02/90)

Hello Jove-Wizards.

  I just got Jove (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs) for the PC from a
finnish base. Nice editor, with a lot of EMACS-style functions. I
have, though, a few questions, I would like to ask :

1. Is there (or can there be made) support for EGA-43 line mode ?

2. How well (if any) is the relation to EMACS-lisp, e.g. can I EASILY
port Emacs-lisp modes to  Jove ?

- Chris  8^)

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (03/04/90)

chris@iesd.auc.dk (Christian J. Callsen) writes:

> [in Jove]
>1. Is there (or can there be made) support for EGA-43 line mode ?

Jove lets BIOS handle the video, and (if I recall correctly from my
reading of the sources a few months ago) will preserve whatever video
mode you're in when you start it.

>2. How well (if any) is the relation to EMACS-lisp, e.g. can I EASILY
>port Emacs-lisp modes to  Jove ?

No relation.

--Richard
--
Richard J. Reiner              rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet (also rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca)

chris@iesd.auc.dk (Christian J. Callsen) (03/04/90)

In article <8275@yunexus.UUCP> rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) writes:

>   Jove lets BIOS handle the video, and (if I recall correctly from my
>   reading of the sources a few months ago) will preserve whatever video
>   mode you're in when you start it.

No, it does not preserve the video mode. I tried to set 43 lines
manually, and then invoke Jove. But jove reset to 25 lines.

But thanks for an answer.

-Chris ;^)

tzeng@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Ping-San Tzeng) (03/05/90)

In article <CHRIS.90Mar4120341@laplace.iesd.auc.dk> chris@iesd.auc.dk (Christian J. Callsen) writes:
>No, it does not preserve the video mode. I tried to set 43 lines
>manually, and then invoke Jove. But jove reset to 25 lines.

You need to set environment variable "EGA" to 1. Then JOVE will use the 43
line mode.
In fact, I have a Orchid Prodesigner and JOVE also works fine under its
40-line SuperVGA mode. The text is much better than the EGA-43 mode.

Ping-san.

km@speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Ken Mitchum) (03/11/90)

>1. Is there (or can there be made) support for EGA-43 line mode ?

Yes. Set the environment variable TERM to EGA prior to running Jove.
You can also use Jove in 43-line mode with a Tecmar Graphics Master
with a couple of minor mods to the code.

 Ken Mitchum MD KY3B
 km@cs.pitt.edu km@dsl.pitt.edu