[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Brain-dead 286 ?

marknew@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Mark Newman) (02/27/90)

Greetings,
What's wrong with the '286? I've read many an article on the net and
in the PC magazines describing the 286 as "Brain-dead", yet none of
them really explained why. The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to
be buying a PC for home use and have narrowed it down to a '286 or a
386SX. I'm well aware of the advantages of a SX, but they do cost
somewhat more than a 286 (about $300-500 from local vendors) and I'm
not sure that a 386SX is needed for home use. Anyway, if you have any
information please email or post if you feel it worthwhile.

Many thanks,
Mark Newman
marknew@rosevax.rosemount.com

mlau@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Mel Lau) (03/01/90)

If you ever decided that you wanted to switch to the far side and
decide to run Unix instead of MSDOS, what are you gonna do with that
286 ??  Therefore you should consider the future of software in making
your hardware investment....

*mel*

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/02/90)

In article <1640066@hpspcoi.HP.COM> mlau@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Mel Lau) writes:
|If you ever decided that you wanted to switch to the far side and
|decide to run Unix instead of MSDOS, what are you gonna do with that
|286 ??  Therefore you should consider the future of software in making
|your hardware investment....

Of course, a 286 motherboard can be had for well under $200. If you use
it for a couple of years, the price of a 486 will probably drop a lot
more than the cost of that 286 motherboard. So you would end up saving
money.

DON'T INVEST IN MICROPROCESSORS. We are doing our best to make it a
lousy investment.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
A PC without DESQview is like Unix without ^Z.

MAM155@psuvm.psu.edu (03/06/90)

I hesitate to purchase a '386 machine becauseI found that the Bus speed is to
fast to handle some expansion cards!!!! I mean that one card would work and
another, of the same model, would not work on the same computer !!!!!
the machinesthhat has happened on are AT clones with DTK mother boards.
so I would wait a little longer to buy a '386

                                        Mike

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (03/07/90)

In article <90065.025357MAM155@psuvm.psu.edu> MAM155@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I hesitate to purchase a '386 machine becauseI found that the Bus speed is to
>fast to handle some expansion cards!!!! I mean that one card would work and
>another, of the same model, would not work on the same computer !!!!!
>the machinesthhat has happened on are AT clones with DTK mother boards.
>so I would wait a little longer to buy a '386
>
>                                        Mike

The C&T NEAT chipset can program the bus clock to be: processor speed/2,
processor speed/3, or AT bus speed (8 MHz?).

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (03/08/90)

MAM155@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I hesitate to purchase a '386 machine becauseI found that the Bus speed is to
>fast to handle some expansion cards!!!! I mean that one card would work and
>another, of the same model, would not work on the same computer !!!!!
>the machinesthhat has happened on are AT clones with DTK mother boards.
>so I would wait a little longer to buy a '386
>
>                                        Mike

DTK anything has always been a problem.  A customer of mine informed me of a
serious problem with using their boards with Netware.  Doesn't matter what
BIOS you use, the DTK board itself has a serious problem.  If you want a good
board, go Micronics or Mylex.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (03/11/90)

A pity that everything has to be an all-out war here, as there
are good points on both sides.

My view?

I want a 386 box at some point. Not because it is "faster" but
rather because of the virtual 8086 modes and the 386 mode.

But I don't want to pay Intel's gouging price. I'll wait.

What ever became of the plans for 386 {chip} clones? Did the time and
money NEC spent on defending the V-{2,3}0 scare everyone off?
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (03/12/90)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>My view?
>
>I want a 386 box at some point. Not because it is "faster" but
>rather because of the virtual 8086 modes and the 386 mode.
>
>But I don't want to pay Intel's gouging price. I'll wait.
>
>What ever became of the plans for 386 {chip} clones? Did the time and
>money NEC spent on defending the V-{2,3}0 scare everyone off?

We may see 386 (chip) clones.  There are 287 clones out there now.

     // JCA

 /*