[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3d plotting and rotation of data points on pc

shapiro@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) (03/08/90)

I am looking for a pc/ms-dos based program that will allow me to load and
display a series of x-y-z points on a pc system. there is a program
on the macintosh that does this and then allows you to rotate the image
around any axis, it is called macspin.

does anyone know of such a product for the PC family of processors? if you
do drop me a note.

many thanks in advance....

brian

--
Brian Shapiro, Assistant Manager, Information Center
Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) (03/11/90)

On 7 Mar 90 20:48:02 GMT,
shapiro@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) said:

Brian> I am looking for a pc/ms-dos based program that will allow me
Brian> to load and display a series of x-y-z points on a pc system.
Brian> there is a program on the macintosh that does this and then
Brian> allows you to rotate the image around any axis, it is called
Brian> macspin.

Ug!  That's sickening!  For the first time in my life, I actually wish
I had a Mac. :-)

I am also looking for a 3D plotting program.  I know such a thing must
exist.  Anyone?

--
/*********/
     Paul Caskey

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (03/11/90)

In article <1192@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) writes:

>I am looking for a pc/ms-dos based program that will allow me to load and
>display a series of x-y-z points on a pc system. there is a program
>on the macintosh that does this and then allows you to rotate the image
>around any axis, it is called macspin.
>
>does anyone know of such a product for the PC family of processors? if you
>do drop me a note.

Acrospin is one cheap possibility.  It's not as flexible as MacSpin, but does
run faster.  It's $30 or so from

Acrobits
P.O Box 5563
Redwood City CA 94063-0563
(415) 369-0838

I heard from the author a couple of months ago that a new version was due out
soon, with hooks to programming languages.  Version 2.0 that I've got requires
you to write the data into a special format file, and run the spin program
on that.

I'm very satisfied with it for the price; I wouldn't mind a more capable one,
though.  For example, it's 3-D only - no projections from higher dimensions,
"grand tours", etc.

Duncan Murdoch

fayne@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeffrey Fayne) (03/12/90)

In article <1192@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) writes:

>I am looking for a pc/ms-dos based program that will allow me to load and
>display a series of x-y-z points on a pc system. there is a program

 stuff deleted

>do drop me a note.
>
>many thanks in advance....

Me too!

			Jeff

 F-14             |    _    |               |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
   Tomcat         |  /^ ^\  |               |  Tellabs, Inc.
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |  fayne@tellabs.com
              *       O O       *     fjs   |  Standard Disclaimer Applies