[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Conflict between 386MAX and FASTOPEN?

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (03/10/90)

I have a small problem with 386-to-the-Max, ver 4.05 running on my 386/25
with C&T Neat chipset, AMI BIOS and MS-DOS 4.01.

Since installing 386MAX, I have been getting occasional "Priveledged
operation exception error" which brings the machine to a crashing halt
from which it must be cold booted.

These are seemingly random, always occcuring during a disk access,
I suspect, opens-for-read.  Since I've been recording them, the address
given for the error has always been the same spot in FASTOPEN (CS:031B).
It seems to happen more often when FASTOPEN is in high memory.  The code
at that address appears to be harmless enough  (MOV DI,ES:BP, I think).

Qualitas tech support suggested I not try to make DOS4 use expanded
memory for BUFFERS= or FASTOPEN and leave off DOS4 on the 386MAX stmt
(apparently, in their opinion, MSDOS 4.01 still hasn't got it right
when it comes to expanded memory).

Well, I did that and I still get the errors.  Any ideas?

Oddly enough, I get the errors fairly frequently while another fellow
that uses the machine as much as I do *never* gets them.  About all I
can figure that we do differently is I keep the *Num Lock* off, he keeps
it on!  Figure that one!

Thanks as always for any help.

Re the debate on EMS managers:

I only have experience to speak of with 386MAX and dispite the above, I'm
impressed with it as a well designed, professionally supported and very
useful utility.  The documentation is fairly good which is always nice.

In article <29431@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>386Max is in my opinion superior because they can loadhi device drivers
>like Sun PC-NFS sockdrv.sys which QEMM-386 can not. I have not done
>this but people say it works.

I thought it was the other way around: I think QEMM can LOADHI device
drivers but 386MAX (regular version) definately cannot.  However, for
$55US you can upgrade your 386MAX to "386 Professional" which does
load device drivers (they told me they expect to stop selling the
"non Professional" version in a few months).

I wonder if either QEMM or 386PRO can "loadhi" programs installed with
INSTALL= in the CONFIG.SYS.  Would be useful for SHARE.EXE.

I guess one thing about 386 EMM's that everybody aggrees on is that the
one supplied with DOS 4.x sucks!

--
John Wright      //////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/10/90)

In article <1990Mar9.223031.4873@cs.dal.ca> lane@cs.dal.ca.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>I have a small problem with 386-to-the-Max, ver 4.05 running on my 386/25
>with C&T Neat chipset, AMI BIOS and MS-DOS 4.01.
>Qualitas tech support suggested I not try to make DOS4 use expanded
>memory for BUFFERS= or FASTOPEN and leave off DOS4 on the 386MAX stmt
>(apparently, in their opinion, MSDOS 4.01 still hasn't got it right
>when it comes to expanded memory).

If 386MAX is anything like QEMM, the DOS4 parameter should ONLY be used if
you are using DOS 4.00.  DOS 4.01 fixed the bug which that is designed to
counter.

>I wonder if either QEMM or 386PRO can "loadhi" programs installed with
>INSTALL= in the CONFIG.SYS.  Would be useful for SHARE.EXE.

QEMM 5.0 can.  Use
install=c:\qemm\loadhi.com /tsr c:\dos\fastopen.exe
or something similar.  I'm not using my computer right now, so I can't just
call up the CONFIG.SYS...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
Disclaimer:  Who really reads these things, anyway?

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar9.223031.4873@cs.dal.ca> lane@cs.dal.ca.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>I wonder if either QEMM or 386PRO can "loadhi" programs installed with
>INSTALL= in the CONFIG.SYS.  Would be useful for SHARE.EXE.

With 386PRO:

1. Put share.exe in a directory where DOS can't find it (so it won't load it
   automatically).

2. Put in your autoexec.bat:
     386load size=13576 prog=pathname\share.exe

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply