[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multiple Drive Controllers on older PC's?

tbm@cbnews.ATT.COM (thomas.b.merrick) (03/12/90)

The rapid evolution of PC's capabilities, combined with the large number
of existing machines,  makes the following  question pertinent;  related
questions are appearing on the boards.   To be specific, assume one  has
an AT  class (-286)  computer running  DOS 3.2  or later;  more  general
answers also welcome.

1. Is it possible to use two floppy controllers to handle more than  two
drives (most controlllers now  are limited to two)?   One should have  a
1.2M, 1.44M/720k, and a 360 drive for full compatibility.  If answer  is
no, why not; and if yes, how?

2. Is it  possible to  use two hard  drive controllers  together in  the
machine without conflict?  The older  MFM drives have slow access  times
and limited capacity, but it's a waste to discard them.  Can an EDSI  or
SCSI controller co-exist with an  MFM?  If no, why  not; if yes, how  do
you configure them (hardware and software)?

I think many  people will  find answers  to these  questions helpful  in
making plans  whether to  upgrade a  comfortable machine,  or to  "start
over" (costly, learning curve, etc).

Posted for C. F. Hampstead, ATT Bell Labs by T. B. Merrick ATT Bell Labs

deano@rpp386.cactus.org (Dean Carpenter) (03/13/90)

In article <14656@cbnews.ATT.COM> tbm@cbnews.ATT.COM (thomas.b.merrick,54234,wi,2n020,508 374 5575) writes:

>2. Is it  possible to  use two hard  drive controllers  together in  the
>machine without conflict?  The older  MFM drives have slow access  times

Yes it is possible.  At least with original IBM equipment that is.  I've
had a system working with 4 of the IBM XT controllers (made by Xebec) each
controlling 2 drives.  C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: all at once under DOS 3.3 in
a standard IBM XT with expansion unit.  Was a blast having 8 drive LEDs !

It's a matter of playing with jumpers on the card to disable the ROM on
all but one of them, and to set the other cards to different IO addresses.
If people are seriously interested, mail me and I'll dig out the information,
and I'll summarize the info if the volume warrants.
--
Dean Carpenter
...cs.utexas.edu!bunyip!deano	   			 (preferred)