[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OKI.192 + XT = text only??

merx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/10/90)

Hi all,
 I just got a OKIDATA 192 to play with and found it won't print graphics on my
XT-clone. I thought the 192 was IBM compatible. The only time I got it to print
graphics was with a DTP that had a 192 driver. (A friend of mine has a 192+
that
IS IBM compatible.) Any one using a OKI.192 with a PC or XT???
(A post here is fine)

  Thanks,
  Mike Ray                  bitnet::mer@crnlns

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (03/12/90)

In article <3594.25f7a52c@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
merx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>I just got a OKIDATA 192 to play with and found it won't print
>graphics on my >XT-clone. I thought the 192 was IBM compatible. The
>only time I got it to print graphics was with a DTP that had a 192
>driver. (A friend of mine has a 192+ that IS IBM compatible.) Any one
>using a OKI.192 with a PC or XT???

I have an Okidata 92 that I bought in 1984.  The original printer was
not IBM or Epson (Salts?) compatable.  Okidata used their own format.
There are still screen dump utilities available (I have most of them,
but you can get those and more from EXEC-PC (414)789-4210.  Search
on-line for the phrase 'OKI'  -- no quotes).

People complained about compatability, so Okidata made a PROM chipset
availiable, that was called the 'Plug & Play' option.  P&P gave you
Epson FX-80 (as I recall) compatability.  I never got the P&P set.
BTW, this printer was billed as a workhorse.  Its print quality was
far superior (IMHO) to the Epsons of that day.  My printer is still
working like a champ.

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

kirk%enterprise@Sun.COM (`Captain' Kirk DeHaan) (03/13/90)

From article <3594.25f7a52c@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, by merx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu:
> Hi all,
>  I just got a OKIDATA 192 to play with and found it won't print graphics on my
> XT-clone. I thought the 192 was IBM compatible. The only time I got it to print
> graphics was with a DTP that had a 192 driver. (A friend of mine has a 192+
> that
> IS IBM compatible.) Any one using a OKI.192 with a PC or XT???
> (A post here is fine)
>
>   Thanks,
>   Mike Ray                  bitnet::mer@crnlns

I am using an Oki 192+ with my XT.  It is borrowed so I don't have the manual
but it has been set to an IBM graphics mode.  This allows me to print graphics.
So long as I stipulate IBM graphics when loading printer drivers I have no
problem.

I mentioned not having the manual so as to inform you that I do not know what
the switch setting should be to select IBM graphics mode.  There is an access
hatch at thje top rear center of the unit.  Open this and you will see
a number of dip switches.  If you have the manual you should have no trouble
setting these accordingly.

* 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan		|    "There's a lot to be said     *
*  Sun Microsystems Inc.	|      For a blow to the head"     *
*				|				   *
*  net - kirk@sun.com		|	   Blue Oyster Cult        *
*  packet - n6sxr.ampr.org	|				   *
*  cis - 73427,1657		|				   *
*				|				   *

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Bruno) (03/13/90)

In article <3594.25f7a52c@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> merx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
 >Hi all,
 > I just got a OKIDATA 192 to play with and found it won't print graphics on my
 >XT-clone. I thought the 192 was IBM compatible. The only time I got it to print
 >graphics was with a DTP that had a 192 driver. (A friend of mine has a 192+
 >that
 >IS IBM compatible.) Any one using a OKI.192 with a PC or XT???
 >(A post here is fine)
 >
 >  Thanks,
 >  Mike Ray                  bitnet::mer@crnlns

My Oki 192 works fine (It is attached to an AT, though) Maybe you have the
wrong font selected? You can find out what font you have by holding down
one of the printers buttons as you turn it on (I think FF or TOF-SET) On
my printer, it says:

PR MODE           DP
CH SET            SET 1

See you manual on how to change this setting if it doesn't agree with the
above.

---jb

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (03/13/90)

I don't own an OKI 192 (had a lightning damaged 92), but I seem to
remember hearing that OKI 192s came in different flavors, some native
OKI (graphics not IBM), some with IBM graphics, and later ones (192+)
with either OKI or IBM selectable. Suggest the original poster call
Okidata tech support in N.J. (their number used to be 1-800-okidata)
for definitive info on his specific machine.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.edu           919 286 0411

root@ycomp.UUCP (The Super User) (03/14/90)

In article <2427@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Bruno) writes:
> In article <3594.25f7a52c@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> merx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>  >Hi all,
>  > I just got a OKIDATA 192 to play with and found it won't print graphics on my
>  >XT-clone. I thought the 192 was IBM compatible. The only time I got it to print
>  >graphics was with a DTP that had a 192 driver. (A friend of mine has a 192+
>  >that

The Okidata 192 and 192+ were made with 2 different PROM sets. One for
Microline emulation and one for IBM/Epson emulation. You can convert by
replacing Q8 with part # 31035701 , Q9 is not required. This applies only
to units with serial number above 18601. Older units would require both
Q8 and Q9. I believe the PROM's costs $35.

					Bob Campbell
					Y-Comp Inc.
					413-737-3377