[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word for Windows Tech Reference Manual wuz:Re: window386 && their WORD

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (03/14/90)

In article <29475@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@pepsi.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>I am trying to develop some macros for WFW and am stumped with the
>documentation at hand. I called MS and they said that the Tech
>Reference is published by MSPress and is available to anyone for
>$19.95.

I was a little miffed that this wasn't included in the upgrade
package.  It apparently is part of the non-upgrade package.  I
contacted MS Help about something and was told the manual really was
worth having.  So I ordered it.

After examinig it, I tend to agree.  You won't be able to do anything
beyond the trivial in Macros without the Tech Reference.  It also goes
into much greater detail about fields and field codes.  The hardback
manual lists a bunch of field codes but doesn't REALLY tell you how to
use them. I fiddled around and got sequences and some other stuff
working, but I also ran into trouble by using the Word 5.0 approach to
bookmarks with the field code cross references.

Example of the Word 5.0 Thought Patterns the Lead to Trouble in WFW:
Word 5.0 says to do a cross reference to a bookmark/series code, give
the item a bookmark name by selecting the range of text immediately
preceding the series code name.  Then give it a bookmark name.  To
refer to that bookmark in your text (i.e. cross reference), type the
series code name and a colon, followed by the bookmark name.

If you do this in WFW and update the field code, you'll always get a 0
or 1 in the cross reference spot.  WFW wants you to highlight the
field code, not the stuff preceeding the field code.  It substitutes
the field code value when you issue the cross reference in your text.
If the value isn't a number, it will put in a 0 or a 1.

If this

           In Figure {seq figure bob}, it is seen that .....

is your cross reference in embedded your text, then the bookmark name
"bob" was assigned to the {seq figure} field code where the figure
caption was declared.

The Tech Manual shows how to do this but isn't specific about what you
highlight when you create the bookmark (neither is the User's manual).
I figured this out when I had a MS helper on the phone and we both
typed in the same example but were getting different results.  I
finally asked him what he selected when he created the bookmark name.

Ah-Haaa!!!!!   Not a former Word 5.0 user.

--------------------- End of example

The Tech Manual is written like the older Word manuals, that is, in
narritive form.  I have mixed feelings about the new User's manual.  I
like the hardback.  The encyclopedia layout is great when you already
know what you're doing and want to look up something quickly.
However, the WFW version is different enough from Word 5.0 to warrant
a narritive description mini manual for some of the major formatting
and layout features.

I think the Word 5.0 tutorial is better because it provides a top down
menu approach to various subjects.  You can select Document Formatting
as a major tutorial category, and Picture Import and Layout Features
as a sub-category.  Now (in WFW) you have to go through the whole
blasted tutorial section under the major category to see something
you're really intrested in.

I also noticed that WFW doesn't support the same amount of direct
import picture file formats that Word 5.0 does.  WFW supports direct
imports of TIFF and RTF.  You can include other formats with the
graphics filters that they provide but you won't see the image in your
document.  Since I got my new MS mouse yesterday (with PaintBrush), I
was hoping that WFW would directly import PCX files so that they could
be displayed on screen with the text.  Maybe version 2.0 of WFW will
do that.

I'm still pretty enthuastic about the product.  I've seen some people
on the net gripe and say that they're not going to continue to use the
product.  I'm not one of them.  I think it's pretty impressive, but
I'm also looking forward to the future to see what is included in
upgrades.

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida