[comp.sys.ibm.pc] > 32MB partitions wanted

terence@ttidca.TTI.COM (Terence Davis) (03/01/90)

I have a 65 MB Mitsubishi RLL disk for use in my Compaq Portable
and have gotten tired of having two drives (C and D).  What I'd like is
formatting software to partition the drive into one large 65MB partition.
Also, I'd like the accompanying device driver to be small (the smaller the
better).  I don't have any expanded memory or any fancy boards, just an 8088
(actually a NEC V20) based Compaq.  I've been using the drive for 3 months
as two drives and it's behaved perfectly.  If anybody knows of any public
domain or inexpensive ( < $35 ) products to do the job I'd be appreciative.
NOTE:  I specifically DO NOT want to upgrade to DOS 4.xx!  It's to buggy
and DOS 3.3 is smaller.

                             Thanks,

                             Terry

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (03/02/90)

Compaq DOS 3.31 allows partitions greater than 32 Mb.

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/03/90)

IBM PC DOS 4.01 allows larger than 32 Mbyte partitions, so does Zenith DOS 3.31
and DR DOS.  DR DOS is probably the most generic and portable of the versions
that do.

                                     Brent H. Besler

francis@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Francis Ho) (03/07/90)

Nec DOS 3.31 also allows partitions larger than 32mb.

One question though, how is this done?  I remember reading in PCMag that
instead of formating at 16 (something) it does it in 32 (something)

/f

$************$**************$************************************************$
*_____/\_____*  /francis    *   bitnet : francis@cunixc.bitnet  /////////////*
*    /  \    *   DVX Corp   * internet : francis@cunixF.cc.columbia.edu      *
*   /<()>\   *   Alpha Sys  *     UUCP : ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!francis *
*  /______\  *   Columbia Center for Computing Activities (CUCCA)........    *
$************$**************$************************************************$
--I just want to be me so I speak for myself.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/07/90)

In article <202@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>IBM PC DOS 4.01 allows larger than 32 Mbyte partitions, so does Zenith DOS 3.31
>and DR DOS.  DR DOS is probably the most generic and portable of the versions
>that do.

Huh?  What is DR DOS?  All versions of DOS 4.01 allow >32MB partitions --
how can you say that anything is more generic and portable than vanilla
MS-DOS?  (other than, say, UNIX...)

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
Disclaimer:  I said WHAT?!?

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/08/90)

In article jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>In article bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>>and DR DOS.  DR DOS is probably the most generic and portable of the
>Huh?  What is DR DOS?  All versions of DOS 4.01 allow >32MB partitions --

D(igital) R(esearch) DOS, DRs latest attempt to get back some of its market
share.  Claims to be 100% compatible with MS/PC DOS.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (03/08/90)

In article <202@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>IBM PC DOS 4.01 allows larger than 32 Mbyte partitions, so does Zenith DOS 3.31
>and DR DOS.  DR DOS is probably the most generic and portable of the versions
>that do.
>
>                                     Brent H. Besler

compaq 3.31 does also, but i think it uses 32 bit FATs as opposed to 16 bits
like the rest of the world. some packages that allow >32mb parts use >512byte
sectors (very inneficient).

i'm not sure how Disk Manager does it, but the primary partition can still
only be 32. the extended, however can be as large as you like. best bet with
DM is to use a 1 MB primary, and a large extended, so you don't blow away your
root. i don't like Disk Manager becaause it requires a device driver, and my
customers usually blow away the driver, or the device= line in their config.sys
i use 4.01 DOS..

question:  many people complain about 4.01 having problems, but the only
problem i ever saw was with a cheap shareware program. what are these
supposed incompatibilities?

tim
.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/08/90)

In article <12961@udenva.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Trippin' (Flippin') Tim) writes:
>question:  many people complain about 4.01 having problems, but the only
>problem i ever saw was with a cheap shareware program. what are these
>supposed incompatibilities?

I came across a couple of patches on SIMTEL for DOS 4.01.  I applied them,
but I'm not sure what they did (I should look a little closer at them).
Something about buffer handling.  I also saw in the documentation for
Lantastic that they recommend 3.3 over 4.01 for network use.

Does anyone have a list of the known bugs in DOS 4.01?

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/08/90)

In article <2999@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

>D(igital) R(esearch) DOS, DRs latest attempt to...
>sharClaims to be 100% compatible with MS/PC DOS.

No kidding now, I'm serious.  Is DR-DOS really a product by dig res ?
I hadn't heard this before and hadn't considered the DR to stand for
something besides DR as in doctor to fix many of the typical dos
Argh's.

al

scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) (03/08/90)

In article <12961@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:

> compaq 3.31 does also, but i think it uses 32 bit FATs as opposed to 16 bits
> like the rest of the world.

This is not the case actually.  All the 3.31s use 16-bit FATs, just like
you would expect.  The thing they change is the sectors per cluster size
in order to make the big disk fit.  This is not efficient, but it works.
DOS 4.0 uses the same strategy, but allows up to 2GB (3.31 is limited to
a wimpy 512MB, which HAS been reached by the 615MB drives).  It does this
by raising the sectors per cluster size.  For a 2GB partition, that would
mean 64spc, or 32KB clusters!  And, since a cluster is the REAL minimum
size for a file, that little 10 byte batch file actually takes 32KB from
your disk (but then again, if you've got 2GB, would you notice?).  This
can be a problem.  I was once told of a man who had filled his 10MB
drive and went out and bought a new 20MB to replace it.  Well, he backed
up the 10MB drive and restored it to the 20MB.  Much to his surprise,
he only had 5MB free!  Was his disk bad?  No, the sectors per cluster
size had doubled, and with a lot of small files this resulted in a lot
of unused space being taken up by the small files.

> i use 4.01 DOS..
Good man.  I use it too, but I have to say I just did it out of the
habbit of upgrading...   But what did I get?  DOS 4.0 has a better
command line interpreter, DOSHELL (better known as DOS HELL), a new
command called MEM (interesting really, the neatest thing I've seen
in DOS in a while), and the ability to put a little more in extended
memory (not much though).

> question:  many people complain about 4.01 having problems, but the only
> problem i ever saw was with a cheap shareware program. what are these
> supposed incompatibilities?

Well, I don't know if any incompatibilities, besides the ones that come
up because somebody hard-coded the line that says:
if (_dos_major_ver != 3) then throw_up();

I do know that DOS 4.0 takes a LOT more base memory than 3.31.  That is
why some network companies recommend it, because with thier drivers
and DOS 4.0 there isn't enough memory left to run any apps.

Oh yeah, I just remember that LapLink 3 says it won't work with DOS 4,
but then again it doesn't understand 16-bit fats (ie. it wont work with
big 3.31 partitions either).

+==========================================================================+
| Scott Shaffer    |  Compaq Computer Corporation @ Houston TX             |
| Systems Engr     | (These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my|
| SW Development   | employer, friends or any living person.)		   |
+==========================================================================+
"Unix is a registered bell of AT&T trademark laboratories."
			from a University of Utah Research Paper

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/09/90)

In article <2381@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>In article <2999@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>
>>D(igital) R(esearch) DOS, DRs latest attempt to...
>>sharClaims to be 100% compatible with MS/PC DOS.
>>
>No kidding now, I'm serious.  Is DR-DOS really a product by dig res ?
>I hadn't heard this before and hadn't considered the DR to stand for
>something besides DR as in doctor to fix many of the typical dos
>Argh's.

I'm serious, check out any of the monthly rags for Dig Research adverts.
I've even seen a couple of copies floating around here.

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (03/09/90)

>D(igital) R(esearch) DOS, DRs latest attempt to get back some of its market
>share.  Claims to be 100% compatible with MS/PC DOS.

More importantly, it is re-entrant and is popular with people
writing ROM based embedded controllers.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/13/90)

In article <562@cpqhou.UUCP> scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) writes:
>Oh yeah, I just remember that LapLink 3 says it won't work with DOS 4,
>but then again it doesn't understand 16-bit fats (ie. it wont work with
>big 3.31 partitions either).

I did not read the LL3 manual to carefully, but I did use it on my PC @home
(running 4.01) and I did not run into any problems ... I have a 40MB drive partitioned as 32/8 ... and was talking from the 32MB at the time ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

fredb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Fred Buechler [Devil Mountain Consulting]) (03/14/90)

In article <3255@hcx1.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>In article <562@cpqhou.UUCP> scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) writes:
>>Oh yeah, I just remember that LapLink 3 says it won't work with DOS 4,
>>but then again it doesn't understand 16-bit fats (ie. it wont work with
>>big 3.31 partitions either).
>
>I did not read the LL3 manual to carefully, but I did use it on my PC @home
>(running 4.01) and I did not run into any problems ... I have a 40MB drive partitioned as 32/8 ... and was talking from the 32MB at the time ...

Laplink III works fine with DOS 4.01 for file transfers from/to any size
oartition.  It is the device driver that allows you to access the drives
and printer on one (slave) PC as local devices on another (master) PC which
is *NOT* compatible with DOS 4.01.  If all you want to do is transfer files,
you've got no worries!

Fred.

Fred Buechler                           fredb@llama.rtech.com
Devil Mountain Consulting, Inc          71261.2747@compuserve.com
Concord, California                     # include <DISCLAIMERS.STD>
"Don't test for an error condition that you don't know how to handle"