[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386max and windows386

maes@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (03/13/90)

I am a user of 386max and of windows386.
These two combine verry badly.
386max works very fine for most applications, but i have to use my scanner
in windows. Turning off 386max is not possible because I have drivers loaded
outside the 640K of DOS. So I have to edit my config.sys file and leave
386max out and reboot before I can use windows386. If I want to use SAS a bit
later (SAS cannot run under windows), I have to do the whole process again.

Is there an easier way to do this ?

maes@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

rossp@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ross PORTER) (03/15/90)

In article <2562.25fbc856@esat.kuleuven.ac.be> maes@esat.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>I am a user of 386max and of windows386. These two combine very badly.

Conventional wisdom says use Windows/286, or at least Windows/386's
win86.com.  That way you have only one 386-aware program, and most of
the conflicts are gone.  Of course virtual-86 mode multi-tasking is
lost.  You have to decide which way you'll be more productive.

Ross Porter
rossp@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (03/15/90)

maes@esat.kuleuven.ac.be writes:

>I am a user of 386max and of windows386.
>These two combine verry badly.
>386max works very fine for most applications, but i have to use my scanner
>in windows. Turning off 386max is not possible because I have drivers loaded
>outside the 640K of DOS. So I have to edit my config.sys file and leave
>386max out and reboot before I can use windows386. If I want to use SAS a bit
>later (SAS cannot run under windows), I have to do the whole process again.

>Is there an easier way to do this ?

I don't know of a way that's a LOT easier, but I can save you editing time.
I keep a directory called setup.  In it I keep numerous copies of CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC.BAT.  I use the extension to indicate which setup a file is
for.  I also have a batch file called SETC.BAT for set config.  It looks
like:

COPY C:\SETUP\AUTOEXEC.%1 C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
COPY C:\SETUP\CONFIG.%1   C:\CONFIG.SYS
C:\UTIL\REBOOT

where REBOOT is a program I got of a bulletin board years ago.

In my AUTOEXEC.ext file I have a prompt statement that includes the
extension so I know which setup is loaded.  A simple example would be
PATH=WIN-$P$G for my Windows AUTOEXEC.WIN file.

When I want to change from my Harvard Graphics setup to Windows, I just
type SETC WIN and it places the proper files in the root and reboots the
machine.

A great side benefit of this system is that when you install new software,
you can let the install program screw up your configuration files without
damaging your originals.

Hopefully, we will someday have an operating system where this sort of
kludge isn't necessary.  ***  Please, no comments about *NIX  ***
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014