[comp.sys.ibm.pc] grep, awk, sed and other UNIX utilities - how can I get them?

brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) (03/11/90)

Dear Netlanders,

	Would one of you good folks out there please direct me to a
source of the above utilities? I should prefer public domain but am
prepared to pay a modest sum.

Thanks in advance.
-Graham Brand

robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Bob Robison) (03/13/90)

In article <34868@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Graham Brand) writes:
>	Would one of you good folks out there please direct me to a
>source of the above utilities? I should prefer public domain but am
>-Graham Brand

I don't know about the 'others' but grape.ecs.clarkson.edu has GNU versions
of grep, awk, and sed for MSDOS.    ^^ (128.153.13.196)^^

--
Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (03/14/90)

In article <34868@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Graham Brand) writes:
>	Would one of you good folks out there please direct me to a
>source of the above utilities? I should prefer public domain but am
>-Graham Brand

I found a package fron Mix software called the C Utilities Toolchest. It
includes GREP, SED, TAIL, OD, PWD, CP, MVDIR, LS, CP, CPIO, etc..
It also includes a single user/ single process Borne Shell program.
The whole package + 350 page manual is $19.95 from Mix (800-333-0330)
with a 60 day money back guarantee. Source code is also available for
$10.00 per module (text processing, file management, or Borne shell).
It does not include AWK however. I have been quite happy with the package.

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (03/15/90)

>Dear Netlanders,
>
>	Would one of you good folks out there please direct me to a
>source of the above utilities? I should prefer public domain but am
>prepared to pay a modest sum.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I bought the MKS Toolkit, and am *very* happy with it. It has a very complete
set of UNIX commands including AWK, vi, and K-shell. The K-shell even works
with the ESC key, ie, you can hit escape and then use vi keys to move through
the history file, just like a real UNIX system. The down side is that it is
very expensive, around $175. But, you get what you pay for, I always say.
At least you can be 100% certain that it is virus-free. That's worth the money
alone to me.

tk