[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Stoned virus on IBM PC's

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/14/90)

We have several machines (386 clones w/80mb hd's) infected with the "Stoned"
virus.  On bootup (from floppy), the computer complaines about it's setup
(which is correct), and puts the user in the setup screen.  After this
screen is exited, the message "This PC is now Stoned" appears at the
top of the screen.  Sometimes, the rom setup is fried after this.

I need to know if the virus could have infected the hard drives, and I also
need a virus killer that can eradicate this damn thing.  Please respond to the
address below, or post to this newsgroup.  If someone could supply me with
an ftp address, and the name of a v-killer, I would certainly appreciate it.

Also, does this virus do anything other than be annoying?  I mean in terms of
data manipulation/destruction????  Is it a boot sector virus, or does it hook
itself to .com, .exe, or other files?!?

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (03/15/90)

In article <9003132030.AA03562@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>We have several machines (386 clones w/80mb hd's) infected with the "Stoned"
>virus.  On bootup (from floppy), the computer complaines about it's setup

>I need to know if the virus could have infected the hard drives, and I also
>need a virus killer that can eradicate this damn thing.  Please respond to th

>Also, does this virus do anything other than be annoying?  I mean in terms of
>data manipulation/destruction????  Is it a boot sector virus, or does it hook
>itself to .com, .exe, or other files?!?

According to a reference chart from McAfee Associates, the Stoned virus
"infects fixed disk partition table...infects floppy diskette boot...
remains resident...corrupts or overwrites boot sector...affects system
run-time operation...directly or indirectly corrupts file linkage."
Apparently it does not hook itself to .com or .exe files.

CleanUp, a program available from McAfee Associates (bulletin board
is 408/988-4004) will take care of it.  I believe the archieved file you
want is CLEANP59.ZIP.  Registration costs, I believe $35 per year
(free upgrades for a year).

Also, if you don't have it already, you must get SCANV59.ZIP, which
is the latest version of McAfee's virus scanner.  It is dynamite
and at $25 registration (including free upgrades for one year), it is
a real bargain.

David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303