[comp.sys.ibm.pc] using QEMM-386 v5.0; problems with Windows, etc...

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (03/11/90)

Hi, I am using Quarterdeck's QEMM-386 v5.0 extended memory manager and
am having some difficulties.

I have a Canon 386 box with 640K conventional memory, 4 megs extended,
with 3 of it being used by QEMM.  I also have a Logitech Mouse, an EGA
adapter with > 64K installed and a Tall Tree Systems JLaser 3 adapter.
I am using Microsoft Windows/286 v2.11.

My problem is that when using a disk cache program such as Microsoft's
SMARTDRV.SYS, Windows crashes.  Specifically, it seems that if I do
not move the mouse, Windows might run for awhile, but when I move the
mouse, (usually not until the pointer is near the upper left edge of
the screen) the machine will reset itself.

This is not the only problem I have seen with QEMM.  The Tall Tree
Systems JLaser 3 board is a device which connects an HP Laserjet laser
printer to get 300x600 dpi output.  When I run the test program
supplied, I get a page of garbage and a) the machine locks, or b) I
get a message that I had a stack overflow and the machine locks.

I have a copy of the memory manager from Quadtel (came with the Swan
386SX which I also have.  Oh, lest you think that I am rolling in
dough, these machines belong to a client).  I tried to use it in place
of QEMM.  Voila, no crashes!  Windows is happy, the Jlaser software
works, what could be better?  Well, all is not wondeful.  The Quadtel
software leaves less conventional memory around than the Quarterdeck
software.  Also, it will be used on the Swan, not the Canon.

Anyway, I am at a loss.  I have tired various parms which QD suggests
in the manual when having problems such as NOSH, NOROM, NOROMHOLES,
NOSORT, NOXBDA, NOXMS, and some others.  I have also disabled High RAM
feature.  If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated.  I
would also like to hear from anyone who has used Qualitas'
386-To-The-Max.  Perhaps I might be able to use it instead of QEMM.

Thanks,
Brendan
--
Brendan B. Boerner		Phone: 512/471-3241
Microcomputer Technologies	The University of Texas @ Austin

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (03/12/90)

I read somewhere that Microsoft poeple themselves runs Windows 286 with 386-
MAX. DesView & Windows don't cohabit peacefully....

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/12/90)

In article <90070.225325RFM@psuvm.psu.edu>, RFM@psuvm.psu.edu wrote:
}I read somewhere that Microsoft poeple themselves runs Windows 286 with 386-
}MAX. DesView & Windows don't cohabit peacefully....

Shhh....  Better not tell all those people running Windows under DESQview....
(the only caveat is that you must use Win286 because both Win386 and DV386
try to use virtual86 mode)
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (03/15/90)

In article <90070.225325RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I read somewhere that Microsoft poeple themselves runs Windows 286 with 386-
>MAX. DesView & Windows don't cohabit peacefully....

I'm running Windows 286 in a DV 386 window with no problems, I've never had
a crash running anything in DV (in a window) AS LONG AS YOU START ALL THE
GRAPHICS BASED PROGRAMS FIRST, (Most crashes could be avoided, I think by
telling DV that the program is not well behaved, but then it starts the
program in full screen mode if you have anything else that IS well behaved
in another window...  maybe it's just me...  I'm running DV 2.25 with QEMM
4.23 on a 386 with 640K conventional, 384 shadow, and 2 Megs extended)
And even if a graphics program IS started after a text, it usually runs
without a hitch, but once in a long while, the graphics card changes modes, and
there's nothing I can do to get DV to reset itself to a sane state, short of
Alt Q Y and restarting DV (screen blanks when switching between programs
and although, DV is STILL running, you can't do anything, cuz the card
is off in never-never land- I've had this happen with a real Herc graphics
as well as ATI VGA cards...  anyone else?)

Me