[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3.5" floppies on a true blue PC

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/13/90)

In article <136@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>I have a 3.5" Teac floppy in my 386 clone with a WD1006VSR2 floppy/hard
>controller.  I have no problem reading, writing, or formatting 720K and 1.44
>Mbyte disks. I tend to use 3M disks.

On a related note, is there ANYTHING I can do to coerce my true blue PC
(256k MB) to recognize 720/1.44 floppies? ... I have tried 3 different
controllers, and they all claim to allow XT's (clones only?) to use 1.44MB
floppies with DOS >=3.3 (I use DOS4.01).

However, using sony, teac or mitsumi 1.44 drives all I can do is as follows:
1) chkdsk/read/write with a 720k pre-formatted floppy
2) format ONLY as a 360k floppy (greater format requests result in a
   "Parameters not compatible - Format terminated" error message)
3) preformatted 1.44 (readable/writable in laptop & AT at work as 1.44s)
   result in abort/retry/fail? message for any disk operation.

All three cards specifically mentioned that on an XT, the card's BIOS routines
MUST be used as the XT would not correctly recognize the higher densities
otherwise.  The cards are configured as instructed for this to be so.

Any hints?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

bob@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (03/15/90)

I'm not sure about the drives you mention, but I just installed a
3.5 drive on an OLD IBM AT (says it will work with XT). It attached
to the second floppy plug from my existing controller card.  I had
to use Setup to reset the configuration.  Since it didn't have 1.44
available, I installed a supplied driver (setup = 1.2 per
directions).  The drive has worked flawlessly.  It's from Procomm
and is called a PC1440.  I believe that is correct. I'm writing
this from home and the information is at work.

--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
Author: CONFIG.EXE, RUN.EXE, CleanUp.EXE
        pacbell!sactoh0!bob