[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Help Buying Modem

marxb@yvax.byu.edu (03/08/90)

        I need to buy a modem for my 386SX PC at home and am turning to the
net for some advice.  I would love to have MNP level 5 on it but can't afford
it since I am still a college student.  I would like any recommendations for
a 2400 baud internal modem that is reliable (and cheap).  In a catalog from
JDR Microelectronics they have a 2400 baud internal modem for $89.95 that
includes ProComm but I know nothing of their reputation.  Also, I have seen
a 2400 baud internal listed in the Fast Micro ads for around the same price.
Do any of you have recommendations and/or experiences with modems?  I would
prefer to have E-mail directly because I am usually behind on my network
reading but I will find it either way.  Thanks in advance.

Brad Marx

*    marxb@byuvax          *                                         *
*    marxb@yvax.byu.edu    *    Illegitimus non tatum carborundem.   *
*    bradm@byuvax          *                                         *

P.S.    Anything has to be better than the 300 baud acoustic coupler I borrowed
        from work.  It hasn't cost me anything but the speed (actually, lack
        thereof) is driving me completely insane.

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (03/09/90)

>In a catalog from
>JDR Microelectronics they have a 2400 baud internal modem for $89.95 that
>includes ProComm but I know nothing of their reputation.

This appears to be the Prometheus modem sold under the JDR house name.
I've had a Prometheus modem for several years and it has worked
well and reliably. My only complaint is the speaker is so soft that
most of the time it is useless. JDR is a reputable mail order
company that has been around for a long time. It was one of
the biggest advertisters in BYTE magazine when that magazine first
started. That's eternity in this business.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) (03/15/90)

In article <1640072@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>In a catalog from
>>JDR Microelectronics they have a 2400 baud internal modem for $89.95 that
>>includes ProComm but I know nothing of their reputation.
>
>This appears to be the Prometheus modem sold under the JDR house name.
>I've had a Prometheus modem for several years and it has worked
>well and reliably. My only complaint is the speaker is so soft that
>most of the time it is useless. JDR is a reputable mail order
>company that has been around for a long time. It was one of
>the biggest advertisters in BYTE magazine when that magazine first
>started. That's eternity in this business.

I ordered the JDR 2400 baud internal modem and found it to work well,
with one major flaw that made it impossible to use with some applications
that I had.  The modem has no DIP switches or nonvolatile RAM to store
its configuration in. It does provide extended AT commands to set things
like its response to DTR, etc. but whenever the modem is reset by ATZ it
reverts to the factory defaults.

JDR did allow me to return it for a refund with no hassle.  IMHO, their
service is pretty good, but not as good as it used to be.

Ed Hanway
Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
#include <std_disclaimer.h>