[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Quattro Pro for $99 Good Deal?

klopfens@bgsu-stu.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (02/28/90)

I got the come-on from Borland about getting Quattro Pro for $99.
On the surface, it looks like a great deal.  What's the catch?
Why do they need proof that you already have 1-2-3?  Or is that
just another gimmick?

Skeptical about marketing ploys,

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet
                               |  fax (419) 372-2300

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (03/01/90)

Borland sent me many of those coupons, but I can get one from my school's
computer store for $65. So, check your campus computer store first.

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (03/07/90)

In article <5474@bgsu-stu.UUCP> klopfens@bgsu-stu.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) writes:
>I got the come-on from Borland about getting Quattro Pro for $99.
>On the surface, it looks like a great deal.  What's the catch?
>Why do they need proof that you already have 1-2-3?  Or is that
>just another gimmick?
>
>Skeptical about marketing ploys,
>
>Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
>Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet
>Bowling Green $tate University |  klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP
>Bowling Green, OH  43403       |  (419) 372-2138; 352-4818

There is no catch.  In fact, you can get it cheaper: your status
in a university entitles you to the $69 educational rate.  Contact
Educational sales Dept., Borland, PO Box 660001, Scotts Valley
CA 95066-0001, 408-439-1064.  Great academic discounts on Paradox,
Turbo compilers, Sprint, etc.

GD Stone
Anthropology
Columbia Univ.

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (03/08/90)

>I got the come-on from Borland about getting Quattro Pro for $99.
>On the surface, it looks like a great deal.  What's the catch?
>Why do they need proof that you already have 1-2-3?  Or is that
>just another gimmick?
>
>Skeptical about marketing ploys,
>
>Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
----------

They want proof you already have 1-2-3 because they are trying to
lure away 1-2-3 customers.  1-2-3 is now the standard spreadsheet
at many large companies (i.e., management directs everyone to use
1-2-3 if they use a spreadsheet so they don't have any problems
working with each other's data).  It would mean big $$$ for Borland
if they could replace 1-2-3 in that respect.  Borland thinks they
have a good enough product that it will sell itself if they can
get their foot in the door.  In general, however, they do not want
to sell Quatto Pro for $99.  They think it's worth more.

John Hardin
hardin%hpindgh@hplabs.hp.com
--------

kenw@col.hp.com (Ken Wyatt) (03/14/90)

I received the same offer, bought it and _really_ like the program.
(I just deleted Lotus!)

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (03/16/90)

Quattro Pro does seem good (I havn't had the time for a lot of usage
yet).  I am somewhat disappointed that they keep some old ways of doing
things, making it seem somewhat clunky in some ways after you've used
Excel.  For example, why require those '@' prefixes to built-in function
names?  Why require an ' in front of a label that starts with a number
but is obviously a label since it has letters in it later?  Why require
a control-D in front of a date entry when you are entering something
like "3 Mar 1990", so it should be obvious?  I also find '=' a more
intuitive formula prefix than '+'.  Oh well, I'll get used to it all.
The other features are worth it!

- Moshe