[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Software / Games ; Retail

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/14/90)

 I am taking sort of a little informational survey:
I buy very few games for use with my IBM pc... computers.  However,
the users I support buy some.  Over the last month or 2, I have had
a great influx of reported (& documented by me...) problems reading
original disks from unopened software boxes, coming from several
different local software vendors.
1. Has everyone/anyone else seen this annoying trend ?
2. Is it an attempt to increase sales by either making the disks
    recorded weaker or to induce problems copying or tp bring you
    back to the store over & over again.

The several stores that this is happening to, are very nice & are very
easily taking the packages back over & over & over again.

al

klett@ghill.enet.dec.com (Michael Klett) (03/14/90)

In article <2442@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes...

>I buy very few games for use with my IBM pc... computers.  However,
>the users I support buy some.  Over the last month or 2, I have had
>a great influx of reported (& documented by me...) problems reading
>original disks from unopened software boxes, coming from several
>different local software vendors.

have you tried cleaning the heads?
have you tried doing a floppy head alignment?

These things used to get done often - before the advent of the pc - and
seems to be forgotten about now that floppy drives are such a commodity.
These DO need to be done occasionally and DO make a significant difference
in sector read performance.

Michael Klett
(508) 841-2790          klett@ghill.enet.dec.com

#include <standard_disclaimer.h>

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/16/90)

In article <2442@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>  I am taking sort of a little informational survey:
> I buy very few games for use with my IBM pc... computers.  However,
> the users I support buy some.  Over the last month or 2, I have had
> a great influx of reported (& documented by me...) problems reading
> original disks from unopened software boxes, coming from several
> different local software vendors.
> 1. Has everyone/anyone else seen this annoying trend ?

I've experienced this problem myself with certain Sierra games (that doesn't
mean that other companies don't have this problem also).  The stores are
usually good about taking the program back and giving you a new one.
Fortunately for me, I haven't had to do that since such games usually have
duplicate files on multiple disks and one of them probably won't have an error.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (HD7X@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/16/90)

In article <2442@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>  I am taking sort of a little informational survey:
> I buy very few games for use with my IBM pc... computers.  However,
> the users I support buy some.  Over the last month or 2, I have had
> a great influx of reported (& documented by me...) problems reading
> original disks from unopened software boxes, coming from several
> different local software vendors.
> 1. Has everyone/anyone else seen this annoying trend ?

I've experienced this problem myself with certain Sierra games (that doesn't
mean other companies don't have this problem also).  The stores are usually
good about taking the program back and giving you a new one.  Fortunately for
me, I haven't had to do that since such games usually have duplicate files on
multiple disks and one of them probably won't have an error.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (HD7X@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

MXD118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mike Dahmus) (03/16/90)

Well, I used to work in a retail software store. We had problems by the
bucketload with Sierra, especially KQ4 and SQ3. We took back roughly 50%
of all copies of SQ3 that we sold. Sierra never did admit that there was
anything wrong with their disks.
| Michael E. Dahmus     | "Stupid people and Macintoshes - it takes a  |
| MXD118 @ PSUVM        |  crowbar to separate 'em!"                   |