[comp.sys.ibm.pc] connector on vga boards

870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) (03/13/90)

This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.
later
Barry

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (03/14/90)

870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) writes:

>This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
>little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.

It's called the feature connector.  The only place I've seen it used was
on a Dell graphics processor board.  It allowed one to connect a standard
VGA card to a TI34010 based board.  This way, one can run standard VGA
stuff too.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (03/15/90)

>This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
>little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.
>Barry

It's a feature connector for addon enhancements. As far as I know
nobody has ever made such a beast. It allows you to tap into the
video signal just before the D/A stage.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer @ Compaq Computer Corp.) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar12.231833.19363@aucs.uucp>, 870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) writes:

> This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
> little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.

This interesting little connection (the one that is similar to a floppy
drive connector, btw, don't hook your floppy to it :) ), is called the
VGA Special Feature's connector.  It works like this:
Video data is processed exactly as normal, except, as the signal is
being sent to the VGA's internal Digital/Analog Converter (DAC), it is
also routed to this connector (hence the only signals there are the
Red, Green, and Blue guns, the Horiz. and Vert. sync, and a ground).
This feature is used by a number of the secondary enhanced-mode video
boards (such as Compaq's AG1024, Dell's TI thingy, and a couple of
others (Western Digital I think)).  This enables these manufacturers
to create boards that are entirely devoted to their enhanced modes (ie.
they don't have to emulate VGA).  They don't have to try to be register
or BIOS compatible on the VGA modes because the get that signal directly
from the VGA and just pass it through to their own DAC, and out to the
monitor.  Some VGA cards do NOT have this feature connector (to save
$$$), and thus they will not be compatible to these enchanced secondary
adaptors.  IBMs 8514 system is similar to these other enhanced-mode
adaptors, except that it ONLY works with MCA machines and gets the
video info off of the bus (I guess, where else?).  Thus, you can't
use 8514 in ISA machines.

* Scott Shaffer @ Compaq Computer Corp @ Houston, TX			*

clear@actrix.co.nz (Charlie Lear) (03/16/90)

In article <.uucp> 870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) writes:
>This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
>little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.

Not a stupid question at all.  Quote from the manual of my VGA card:

     Video Feature Connector
     This edge connector and associated circuitry is equivalent to the
     connector provided by IBM on their PS/2 Display Adapter.  Its
     purpose is to allow for possible future connections and is
     provided on your 16 Bit VGA Card to maintain complete
     compatibility with the IBM card.  You will normally have no need
     to use this connector.

There!  Everything you ever wanted to know about it, straight from the
horses mouth.

This may be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyways.  WHAT
IS THAT LITTLE CONNECTOR ON MOST VGA BOARDS  *** FOR *** ???????
--
 Charlie "The Bear" Lear:  Call The Cave BBS, 64(4)643429 157MB Online!
             Home of the World Famous KiwiBoard BBS Software!

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (03/17/90)

In article <1640079@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>This may be a stupid queston, but I am going to ask it anyways. What is that
>>little connector on most VGA boards for? Just wondering.
>
>It's a feature connector for addon enhancements. As far as I know
>nobody has ever made such a beast. It allows you to tap into the
>video signal just before the D/A stage.

				actually , there are a couple of boards
that use it . some of the VGA to NTSC boards use it , as do some of the
interactive - media add - ons ( for adding full - motion video within
windows on the screen . also , the EGA feature connector is used for the
EGA enhancement boards that increase the resolution somewhat and give
more colours . VGA cards , though , generally have a resolution so high
that this is not necessary .

							-a.stranger
--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @