[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do you perform a floppy disk alignment?

jewett@mcnc.org (Rusty Jewett) (03/15/90)

I have been experiencing problems with my 1.44M floppy disk drive
(It reads and writes disks that have been formatted in my drive with no
problems, but if I try a disk that has been formatted in another drive,
I usually can't even read the directory!)  Does anyone have info as to
how to check the alignment, or any other suggestions as to what the
problem might be?

Many thanks in advance!
Rusty

inet: jewett@mcnc.org

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/15/90)

>I have been experiencing problems with my 1.44M floppy disk drive
>(It reads and writes disks that have been formatted in my drive with no
>problems, but if I try a disk that has been formatted in another drive,
>I usually can't even read the directory!)  Does anyone have info as to
>how to check the alignment, or any other suggestions as to what the
>problem might be?

It definitely sound like the head is out of alignment.  The best places I
know of that realign drives are JB Technolgies in Chattsworth, CA and
Trax in Chicago.  Both do it for a flate rate of $45.  To align a drive
you need a calibrated alignment disk and a dual-trace oscilliscope.

                                          Brent H. Besler

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/15/90)

In article <356@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>>I have been experiencing problems with my 1.44M floppy disk drive
>>(It reads and writes disks that have been formatted in my drive with no
>>problems, but if I try a disk that has been formatted in another drive,

>It definitely sound like the head is out of alignment.  The best places I
>know of that realign drives are JB Technologies in Chatsworth, CA and
>Trax in Chicago.  Both do it for a flate rate of $45.  To align a drive
>you need a calibrated alignment disk and a dual-trace oscilliscope.

Just my $0.02 worth again, but by shopping around, you can get a brand new
(in the box) drive for about $80.  For $35 more, you'd have no down time.
And probably a 30 to 90 day warrantee to boot.  My opinion is that spending
$45, plus shipping and handling would be penny wise and pound foolish.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (03/15/90)

You could also purchase drive alignment software over the counter.  I believe
Verbatim or Dysan manufactures this software.  The complete package costs
about $100.  If you have more than one floppy drive in more than one machine
it may be worth the cost. Otherwise, get another drive off your warranty.

The Richard Young chain distributes the alignment software.

--
Ed Tankus.
Net  :       {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

andyb@starstar.la.locus.com (Andy Brager) (03/17/90)

>Just my $0.02 worth again, but by shopping around, you can get a brand new
>(in the box) drive for about $80.  For $35 more, you'd have no down time.
>And probably a 30 to 90 day warrantee to boot.  My opinion is that spending
>$45, plus shipping and handling would be penny wise and pound foolish.
>
>kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
>Kaleb Keithley

Just for the record, Falcon (Distributing?) in Culver City, California
sells both Teac and Toshiba 1.44 drives for $73 + tax + shipping.
At least thats what it cost when I bought my Teac.  Of course I drove there and
didn't have to pay shipping costs. :-)

Andy