[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Intel is arrogant!

sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) (03/15/90)

	In a press release, when asked to respond to possible
competetion in the 80386-486 market from Nextgen,(a new startup) Intel
replys that, Nexgen may be doing the customers a dis-service, if they
"violate the standard."

	So now Intel is the most holy keeper of *the* standard, are
they?  Looking after the interests of the customers, making sure that
no one does us a dis-service, eh ?  Oh pleeeeeeease.

	And this, mind you from the company that brought you the 80286,
a processor that needs a hardware reset to swith from protected to real
mode.

--
...........>..........>........>......>...>...>..>..>..>..>.>.>.>>>>>>>>+ .
Steve Verity   sv@v7fs1         +   +      Now where did I leave my D50?  + .

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) (03/17/90)

In article <2012@v7fs1.UUCP> sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) writes:

>	So now Intel is the most holy keeper of *the* standard, are
>they?  Looking after the interests of the customers, making sure that
>no one does us a dis-service, eh ?  Oh pleeeeeeease.

Like it or not, Intel is the standard, and that's the bottom line. I've
talked to people at both Intel and Advanced Micro Devices about the
lawsuit over the 386. Though the details were very scant, there seems
to be a disagreement over the contract that the two made. AMD feels that
it has a right to the IC designs of the 386. Intel does not feel that way.

Introducing the SX chip was a good move by Intel, though I would call it
somewhat underhanded too. It's common knowledge that they were out to
undercut their licensees for the 286 by getting everyone to move to 386.

AMD still plans to participate in the 386 market. It seems reasonable to
expect a performance improvement similar to what happened when Harris
licensed the 286.

Like IBM, Intel is big. How can you not be arrogant when you can smother
anyone at will?

--
"No one had the guts... until now..."
|-$anjay "lock [+] on" $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu	N.A.R.C. ]I[-|

In article <2012@v7fs1.UUCP> sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) writes:

| 	So now Intel is the most holy keeper of *the* standard, are
| they?  Looking after the interests of the customers, making sure that
| no one does us a dis-service, eh ?  Oh pleeeeeeease.

  I can't think of anyone else who should set the standard for the 386
instruction set. I agree that anything less than 100% compatible would
be a long term loss for the buyer, and would lead to software in several
versions, with little gain infunctionality and the extra cost passed on
to the buyer.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon