[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZMODEM in a good comm package

zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) (03/09/90)

Hi!,

	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
	ZMODEM support?

	Right now I use PCPLUS (ProComm) and DSZ as an external
	protocol.  When I exit to DSZ and return to PCPLUS, the
	screen is messed up.  The only way to cure it is to get
	PCPLUS to erase the screen and redraw it by hitting the
	dialing directory or some other function that takes up
  	the entire screen.

	I do some heavy duty modem communications, and I am
	interested in optimizing my modem/online time.  I have
	Practial Peripherals 2400 baud MNP modem, and have found
	ZMODEM to be pretty good with it.  Is there anything better?
	What is the current version of DSZ?

	What I really need is a good COMM package that integrates
	ZMODEM, but I like ProComm.  Anyone know if a new version
	of ProComm is likely?

				H E L P !  ! ! ! ! !

				Tanz in Advanz

				-Z Raisin

rutgers!gritty!zraisin |_ _S_u_p_e_r_ _A_m_a_z_i_n_ _ _C_i_n_n_a_m_o_n_ _R_a_i_s_i_n_ | deen@topaz.rutgers.edu
_<___ _<_ _<_ _<_ _M_ _A_ _Y_ _ _ _T_ _H_ _E_ _ _ _ _P_ _R_ _E_ _Z_ _E_ _N_ _T_ _ _ _T_ _E_ _N_ _Z_ _ _B_ _E_ _ _ _W_ _I_ _T_ _H_ _ _ _Y_ _O_ _U_ _>_ _>_ _>_ _>

bsmith@rose.cis.ohio-state.edu (brentley r smith) (03/12/90)

If you use and like PROCOMM, i highly recommend TELIX.  I switched from
PROCOMM to TELIX several years ago for the very same reason, ZMODEM.
TELIX has 12 internal protocalls including Sealink, Zmodem, and Ymodem-G.
Most of TELIX's keystrokes are identical to PROCOMM and it has a
"point and shoot" dialing bar if you wish to use it.  It has many more
bells and whistles that you may or may not want to use but all in all
an excellent package.  The most recent version is 3.12 and is available
from most BBS's around the country.

Brentley Smith
bsmith@cis.ohio-state.edu

mark@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mark Storin) (03/12/90)

In article <248@gritty.UUCP> zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) writes:
>Hi!,
>
>	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
>	ZMODEM support?

	Try Telix v3.11.  It has Zmodem built in.  Will even recognize when
it's being sent zmodem packets and pop automatically into zmodem recieve (I
love it).  The program itself works much the same as Procomm but, at least
subjectively, appears faster.  You'll find it on various bbs's.

--
Mark A. Storin
Lake Systems, Milw., WI

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/13/90)

In article <248@gritty.UUCP> zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) writes:
$	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
$	ZMODEM support?

   You might want to give Telix a try.  The version, V3.11, has some
harmless bugs in its screen handling routines, but other than that it is
a good package, and it supports ZMODEM (including auto-upload detect).
You may be able to find a copy on a good local BBS, or alternatively
Simtel20 probably has it.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (03/13/90)

In article <25FC27BB.26617@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <248@gritty.UUCP> zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) writes:
>$	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
>$	ZMODEM support?
>
>   You might want to give Telix a try.  The version, V3.11, has some
>harmless bugs in its screen handling routines, but other than that it is
>a good package, and it supports ZMODEM (including auto-upload detect).
>You may be able to find a copy on a good local BBS, or alternatively
>Simtel20 probably has it.
>--
>Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
>          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

If you don't like the harmless bugs in Telix version 3.11, why don't you
switch to version 3.12?  It's been out for about 3 months and fixes all the
bugs in 3.11.

About 10 people responded with Telix 3.11, don't you people ever check for
upgrades?

Flame on, flame off, flame on, flame off.

Brian

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/13/90)

In article <248@gritty.UUCP> zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
>	ZMODEM support?
>
>	What I really need is a good COMM package that integrates
>	ZMODEM, but I like ProComm.  Anyone know if a new version
>	of ProComm is likely?

Probably the most popular comm. program among the BBS set lately is
Qmodem.  I hear that the latest version has Zmodem built in.
However.....
If you like the look and feel of Procomm, then the easiest transition
for you would probably be TELIX.  It is VERY similar in appearance,
operation and set-up to Procomm.  It has built in Zmodem with auto-start
on downloads.  The only minus (for me anyway) is the script language
which bears a striking resemblence to C.
Datastorm is planning a new release of Procomm Plus but won't venture
a guess as to WHEN.  They plan to have built in Zmodem support...RSN.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

bob@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (03/13/90)

I am using YAM right now.  It is rather difficult to learn
because of its documentation. But, once you've learned it, there
isn't anything you can't do with it in communications.  Since it is
from Omen, it, naturally, has integrated Zmodem.  There are some
good scripts (dialing directories) out there that give the novice
some help.  One of the best is PHOMAST5.ZIP.  Give it a try, you'll
like it.

--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
Author: CONFIG.EXE, RUN.EXE, CleanUp.EXE
        pacbell!sactoh0!bob

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/13/90)

In article <25FC27BB.26617@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <248@gritty.UUCP> zraisin@gritty.UUCP (Emile Deen) writes:
>$	Does anyone know of a good comm package with integrated
>$	ZMODEM support?
>
>   You might want to give Telix a try.  The version, V3.11, has some
>harmless bugs in its screen handling routines, but other than that it is

I've seen now TWO messages in this list about Telix being version v3.11
but this is not the WHOLE truth. It is v3.12
                                -------------
And it is available here in Vaasa, Finland and probably also in Simtel.
Our address in sig.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) (03/13/90)

In article <78134@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> brentley r smith <bsmith@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>If you use and like PROCOMM, i highly recommend TELIX.  I switched from
>PROCOMM to TELIX several years ago for the very same reason, ZMODEM.
>TELIX has 12 internal protocalls including Sealink, Zmodem, and Ymodem-G.
>Most of TELIX's keystrokes are identical to PROCOMM and it has a
>"point and shoot" dialing bar if you wish to use it.  It has many more
>bells and whistles that you may or may not want to use but all in all
>an excellent package.  The most recent version is 3.12 and is available
>from most BBS's around the country.

I have used both Procomm and Telix, but dumped them both for Boyan a while
back, and I am now looking towards "Telemate." Just got a copy of this
yesterday, and it looks excellent. Check it out! These are both available
on BBS's, and both of them support Zmodem. You can access Zmodem through
Procomm using a utility called "Pcall," but why bother? There's enough good
packages out there with this built in.

--
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@mojo.nec.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

cs121je@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/14/90)

I currently use the old public domain Procomm (2.4.3) but I also found
a public domain program called : hotkey-z.

Basically, in procomm, you can enter a dos shell, and run the program.

The program will have a menu allowing you to upload/download with
Z-modem, and it allows batch transfers.  It's great, free, (well, it's
shareware, now that I think about it), & I haven't had a single

problem with it.  Try it out!

                                        Frank Wang

medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (03/16/90)

Actually, the current version of Telix is 3.12.  The author seems to
have corrected some of the mentioned bugs which made vt52/vt100 (and
possibly others) unusable in the past.  Telix 3.12 now does a very
good job of emulating a DEC VT100 device.  I haven't checked the other
emulations.

At the moment I am using DCA's CrossTalk for [MS-]Windows. Similar to
Telix 3.1x, Crosstalk for Windows (generally called "Windex") also has
built-in support for Zmodem transfers, and will automatically start a
download upon receiving the start-up command string from the remote.
Windex's terminal emulation, while limited, is faithful, including use
of VT100 character sets.

If you're not running MS-Windows, then Telix 3.12 is the choice; there
are other packages, but none that are so easy to use while still being
as reliable and powerful as Telix.  However, if you are running
Windows, than Crosstalk for Windows is the ONLY choice (at the
present).
Mark Medici - Rutgers/CCIS/Instructional MicroLabs | Disclaimer?   Did I  say
Internet    : medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu          | something?   Did someone
Compu$erve  : 74755,304                            | listen? Worse, did some-
Voice       : (908) 932-2412 -or- (908) 932-5766   | one actually BELIEVE me?

rossp@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ross PORTER) (03/16/90)

In article <Mar.15.12.00.06.1990.27129@elbereth.rutgers.edu> medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
> [For plain DOS Telix 3.12 is your only ZMODEM choice]
> [For MS-Windows, XTALK for Windows is your only ZMODEM choice]

Windows users now have at least one other choice.  WinQvt offers
X/Y/ZMODEM, B+, Kermit and excellent vt100 emulation.  Unicom 1.4 may
have ZMODEM support as well.  Both of these are probably available at
Vassa (128.214.12.3), and are definitely available in WINAPA on
Compu$erve.

Ross Porter
rossp@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/16/90)

In article <Mar.15.12.00.06.1990.27129@elbereth.rutgers.edu> medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>Actually, the current version of Telix is 3.12.  The author seems to
>have corrected some of the mentioned bugs which made vt52/vt100 (and
>possibly others) unusable in the past.  Telix 3.12 now does a very
>good job of emulating a DEC VT100 device.  I haven't checked the other
>emulations.
>If you're not running MS-Windows, then Telix 3.12 is the choice; there

And if you ARE running MS-Windows you can still use Telix in a window.
That's what I do. Works just good. And you can use your favourite
Windows applications at the same time.

--
	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)----------------
University of Vaasa, Finland ftp site (128.214.12.3) PC & Mac directories

DOUG@YSUB.BITNET (Doug Sewell) (03/16/90)

I just got the Datastorm's newsletter (they're the people that put
out Procomm Plus - PCPLUS).

They have already stated that the next release of Procomm Plus
WILL have ZMODEM built in, and that was the number one enhancement
request.

Also, Procomm Plus will run in a window under Windows or Desqview.

Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555
E-mail: DOUG@YSUB.BITNET, DOUG@YSUB.YSU.EDU

d37645h@saha.hut.fi (Marko Kohtala) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar16.074302.19833@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>And if you ARE running MS-Windows you can still use Telix in a window.
>That's what I do. Works just good. And you can use your favourite
>Windows applications at the same time.

Has any of you never seen Telemate?

It is a terminal that includes a multitasking environment with editor,
file viewer, back scroll buffer and some other things. Multitasking
means you can be tranfering files while writing some document or
message or reading some text files.

The soon coming version (2.10?) has rather good vt102, vt52 and ANSI
emulations. vt102 and vt52 both support line drawing symbols well even
when they are double hight or width. ANSI supports also ANSI-music
codes.

Built in file transfer protocols are Zmodem, X/Ymodem in they various
forms and names, CIS Quick B and ASCII. Kermit is missing, but
installing external protocols is easy - you only cannot benefit from
the multitasking when using them.

It supports various video modes including EGA/VGA 25/26/27/35/43/50 line
modes.

For us scandinavian users the next version offers working ANSI/vt102
emulation even when we translate incoming [ to some other character.

A good terminal in Windows is of course better, but the Telemate is
the choise (mine anyway :) until one gets the good terminal and
Windows.

I have not seen it in Internet yet, but it is widely distributed in
BBSes. It is shareware and worth more than it's price, US$40.
---
 * Via me - not on behalf of any organisation
Marko Kohtala - INTERNET:d37645h@saha.hut.fi, mkohtala@otax.tky.hut.fi