[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted: Good vt220 terminal emulator for PC

dennis@virtech.uucp (Dennis P. Bednar) (03/18/90)

The company I work for is looking for a good terminal emulator
that runs on the IBM-PC, under MS-DOS, that emulates the vt220
keyboard fairly accurately. Main requirements:

	- ability to work with WordPerfect 5.1 running on a VAX-VMS,
	- the keypad keys on the PC keyboard should emulate the vt200 keypad.

Interested both in commercial products or PD source code.
Also interested in pointers to PD source that could be
easily modified to meet the above requirements.
--
Dennis Bednar	uunet!virtech!dennis	(703)760-3357(w)   (703)437-4384(h)
Cable & Wireless,	Tysons Corner VA

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar17.222702.16864@virtech.uucp> dennis@virtech.uucp (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
>The company I work for is looking for a good terminal emulator
>that runs on the IBM-PC, under MS-DOS, that emulates the vt220
>keyboard fairly accurately. Main requirements:
>
>	- ability to work with WordPerfect 5.1 running on a VAX-VMS,
>	- the keypad keys on the PC keyboard should emulate the vt200 keypad.

Most enhanced keyboards won't do a very good job when trying to emulate a
DEC keyboard because the gray '+' key is double-sized, and also there
aren't enough function keys.

The "class act" solution is sold by KEA Systems, and includes a keyboard
with the exact DEC layout, and software to go with it.  I don't know the
price of this product.

Their address is KEA Systems, Ltd., 2150 W. Broadway Suite 412,
Vancouver BC, Canada V6K 4L9.  Phone 604-732-7411, or 800-663-8702.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar17.222702.16864@virtech.uucp> dennis@virtech.uucp (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
>The company I work for is looking for a good terminal emulator
>that runs on the IBM-PC, under MS-DOS, that emulates the vt220
>keyboard fairly accurately. Main requirements:
>
>	- ability to work with WordPerfect 5.1 running on a VAX-VMS,
>	- the keypad keys on the PC keyboard should emulate the vt200 keypad.

				SmarTerm 240 , by Persoft , emulates a
VT240 , including the ability to display ReGIS and Tektronix graphic
images , and comse with a couple utilities for converting VMS and IBM
WordPerfect files . the program , however , is quite lacking in many
areas . although it has just been updated ( i have not used the new
version , but i understand that the emulation has been improved to the
VT300 series and the keyboard remapping has been improved some ) , it
still lacks a dialing directory . this meand that in order to dial the
modem , you must _type_ ATDT xxx-xxxx ... however , you can define a
macro key to do this . SmarTerm is also rediculously expensive for the
program that it is .

				the *best* keyboard remapping , bar none
, is the _shareware_ program QVT , version 4.15 , that runs under
Microsoft Windows . its keyboard remapping is worlds apart from any
other program , the one glaring exception being that it lacks a compose
character key , although you can still access the extended character set
by using Alt-numeric key sequences . it lacks SmarTerms ability to
display graphic images , but comes with its own windows font that
enables it to display the full VT200 character set .also , it definately
gets the " bang for the buck " award : since it is shareware , you can
try it free , and the registration fee is only $50 , if you decide you
want to keep it . you _do_ need to be running Microsoft Windows , though
.

							-a.stranger

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (03/19/90)

In article <2499@ultb.isc.rit.edu> cms2839%ritvax.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>In article <1990Mar17.222702.16864@virtech.uucp> dennis@virtech.uucp (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
>>The company I work for is looking for a good terminal emulator
>>that runs on the IBM-PC, under MS-DOS, that emulates the vt220
>>keyboard fairly accurately. Main requirements:
>>
>>	- ability to work with WordPerfect 5.1 running on a VAX-VMS,
>>	- the keypad keys on the PC keyboard should emulate the vt200 keypad.

Take a look at mskermit 3.0 . It has vt320 emulation, tek401x emulation,
and you can redefine your keyboard with macros.

This article is posted for factual information only. Any misrepresentation,
if any, is purely unintentional. Any opinion expressed or implicit in
these remarks are solely my own.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nghiem
nghiem@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!ccwf!nghiem

GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) (03/19/90)

     Someone mentioned QVT.  A very good emulator - probably the best around,
except the stupid thing doesn't handle graphics!  So I dropped them a line,
and they said that since DEC is going the route of workstations, X-windows,
etc, they wouldn't be adding graphics.  That was a couple of years ago, and I
just discovered that they have been improving their product since then.  It
still doesn't do graphics, and I am pretty pissed off about that.

     SmartTerm works nicely, does nice Regis/Tektronics graphics, but
something bothered me about it, because I quit using it.

     The software by KEA systems was also OK (I went to their office and got
them to show me a demo), but I felt they spent so much time making it pretty
that they forgot to make it functional enough to please me.

     Finally, there is, of course, MS Kermit 3.0 itself, which does a very
good VT300 series with Tektronics graphics - and allows you to redefine your
own keys if you don't like where they put them.
-------
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |