[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZIP utility

sankar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sriram Sankar) (03/15/90)

I hope this is not a repeat posting.  Can anyone tell me where I can get
an utility to un-ZIP files of the form ????????.ZIP ?

Thanks,

Sriram.

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) (03/17/90)

Could someone tell me what the latest zip release is, and where I can get
it from?
--
"No one had the guts... until now..."
|-$anjay "lock [+] on" $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu	N.A.R.C. ]I[-|

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (03/18/90)

I belive the latest release is 1.02... or is it 10.2? Anyway
the distribution file is pkzip102.exe. release 1.01 did
funny things to your files if you used it on '386 machines.

Come to think of it I've seen 1.02 perform differently when
run on different machines.

Take my advice, use ARC... its more stable and nowhere near as
flakey and version/machine sensitive.

ghost@cup.portal.com     or     bferrell@mcimail.com
                                yes! I AM unique... so far

solomon@rice.edu (Richard L. Solomon) (03/19/90)

In article <27978@cup.portal.com> ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) writes:
>I belive the latest release is 1.02... or is it 10.2? Anyway
>the distribution file is pkzip102.exe. release 1.01 did
>funny things to your files if you used it on '386 machines.

	It's 1.02.  Like any S/W early versions have problems.  If I recall
correctly the "funny things" was limited to cases where you specified that
dir paths be stored with files in the .ZIP.  Certain conditions would
cause the files to restore to the wrongs dirs or something.  (Consult the
pkzip102 docs for ACCURATE bug description.....)

>Come to think of it I've seen 1.02 perform differently when
>run on different machines.

	That's 'cuz it uses the '386's 32bit arithmetic when it detects
a 386, and it uses std when it detects '286/'86 processors.  The files
produced are no different regardless of CPU, the 386 is just lots faster.

>Take my advice, use ARC... its more stable and nowhere near as
>flakey and version/machine sensitive.

	IMHO, that's bad advice.  Pk is MUCH faster than ARC even on my
humble 7.14MHz V30.  Not to mention that I see avg compressions around
60% reduction (yep, 60) on large files.  Really big text files compress
around 75% sometimes.

Richard Solomon
solomon@owlnet.rice.edu

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/19/90)

In article <27978@cup.portal.com> ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) writes:
$I belive the latest release is 1.02... or is it 10.2? Anyway

   It's 1.02.

[...]
$Take my advice, use ARC... its more stable and nowhere near as
$flakey and version/machine sensitive.

   It's also no faster than PKZIP (slower if you use PKZIP's fast
compression option) and produces archives which are much larger
(like 20-35% larger).  A couple of extracts and notes from the March
1990 issue of BYTE magazine:

   "ARC ... has a bad habit of not cleaning up after itself."
   "ARC is a run-of-the-mill performer that has been left in PKzip's dust."

   And the following informal tests, run on the same hardware (a 286) and
using the same files (a mixture of executables and text, totalling
303 091 bytes across 10 files):

ARC 6.02:  final size 161 319 bytes; compress 24 sec, extract 15 sec
PKZIP 1.02, fast:     153 257                 10              13
PKZIP 1.02, optimal:  123 572                 29              10

   So I'd have to say that PKZIP is definitely the one to go with
unless you find a particular flaw.  If anyone knows of specific
problems (don't just say "It sometimes dies", say "it dies when you
do this") with PKZIP V1.02, please post your problem and say what
processor you're using.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar15.012316.24288@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, sankar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sriram Sankar) writes:

> I hope this is not a repeat posting.  Can anyone tell me where I can get
> an utility to un-ZIP files of the form ????????.ZIP ?

PKZIP can be obtained via anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.ARPA, in the directory
pd1:<msdos.zip>.  The file is PKZ102.EXE.  It is a self-extracting .EXE file,
so you don't need to unpak it before you run it.

Have fun!

Alex Cutrone
v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

"ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE..."