[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI hard card will boot in AT, but not in XT

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay Bowden) (03/16/90)

Help!  I have an old (1986?) Hard disk card.  Sort of a strange one, it
is an Micro Design International "WARP DRIVE" 21 MB SCSI-interfaced
hard disk on a card.  I originally used it in an XT I am sure, but then
I moved it to an AT, and was quite pleased when I got an AT, and was
able to plug it right in and it booted.  I realize that I do not have
the advantage of 16 bit transfers, and the hardcard always was
relatively slow, so I have now put an AT-class drive and controller in
the AT.

I want to plug the hardcard into an XT, and give it away to a friend.
But it don't boot!  Infact, it hangs up in the cold boot process, and
after the RAM test, it never comes back, not even with a disk error!

Plug it back into the AT, and it boots fine!

Plug it into a different XT (but w/the same motherboard mfgr),
and it hangs up.

Plug it back into the AT, and it boots fine!

Plug it into the XT, with a different BIOS chip, and it hangs
up.

I've tried each of the DMA channels, including the "pseudo DMA" option
(program controlled port IO, I suppose) the card supports, but it still
locks up.  I've tried moving the disk ROM from D800:0 (its default) to
C800:0.  Either way, it boots fine in the AT, but hangs up in the XT.

What am I missing?  Anyone have a clue? Solve this and you
will have my eternal gratitude, as well as that of the person
I want to give the PC to!

Thanks!

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (03/18/90)

Try doing a low level on it in the AT but not a high level
before you put it into the XT.  fdisk and the high level
format puts some goodies in the 1st physical sector that may
be interfering with the boot-up.

ghost@cup.portal.com     or     bferrell@mcimail.com
               Yes! I AM unique... so far

in540-13@cs.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson MEDNET) (03/19/90)

In article <2454@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay Bowden) writes:
>Help!  I have an old (1986?) Hard disk card.  Sort of a strange one, it
>is an Micro Design International "WARP DRIVE" 21 MB SCSI-interfaced
>hard disk on a card.  I originally used it in an XT I am sure, but then
>I moved it to an AT, and was quite pleased when I got an AT, and was
>able to plug it right in and it booted.  I realize that I do not have
>the advantage of 16 bit transfers, and the hardcard always was
>relatively slow, so I have now put an AT-class drive and controller in
>the AT.
>
>I want to plug the hardcard into an XT, and give it away to a friend.
>But it don't boot!  Infact, it hangs up in the cold boot process, and
>after the RAM test, it never comes back, not even with a disk error!
>
>Plug it back into the AT, and it boots fine!
>
>Plug it into a different XT (but w/the same motherboard mfgr),
>and it hangs up.
>
>Plug it back into the AT, and it boots fine!
>
>Plug it into the XT, with a different BIOS chip, and it hangs
>up.
>

>I've tried each of the DMA channels, including the "pseudo DMA" option
>(program controlled port IO, I suppose) the card supports, but it still
>locks up.  I've tried moving the disk ROM from D800:0 (its default) to
>C800:0.  Either way, it boots fine in the AT, but hangs up in the XT.

I think two problems can occur:

1: The PC has an very old BIOS which don't support hard drives. I.e old
IBM PC.

2: The machine is an old 8Mhz PC with 8Mhz bus speed. The controller
maybe don't work with fast 8-bit bus. (many AT's has 4.77Mhz PC-compatible
8-bit busspeeds and all 8-bit cards works well with them).

Check if you can slowdown the PC to 4.77 Mhz and check the bios' age.