[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ready-to-run PostScript print driver ?

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/17/90)

Can anyone recommend a utility to allow printing ordinary text files
(like program listings, etc.) on a PostScript printer?  Specifically,
I need to go from a pc-clone to an Apple Laser Writer II NT.

I'd prefer an inexpensive commercial product, < $200 if possible.
A shareware or public-domain utility would be ok IF it doesn't require
hassling with de-archiving, de-compressing, etc., as I'm not really a
PC programmer.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.
Ray Arritt                        |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy    |
Univ. of Kansas                   |
Lawrence, KS  66045               |
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu         |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet             |

In article <22507.2600d52e@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

   Can anyone recommend a utility to allow printing ordinary text files
   (like program listings, etc.) on a PostScript printer?  Specifically,
   I need to go from a pc-clone to an Apple Laser Writer II NT.

Yes.  My "PostPRN" device driver converts ASCII to PostScript.  If you're
in 1-2-3, you just print to a file named "PRNPORT", if you want an 80
column, 66 line page.  Print to "PRNLAND" if you want 132 column, 66 line
page.  Or to print a file, just copy it to one of the above "filenames".

PostPRN is on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.  Instructions for accessing it,
including the location of PostPRN were recently posted under the subject
of "Re: comp.binaries.ibm.pc archive wanted".

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/20/90)

In article <NELSON.90Mar16213646@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <22507.2600d52e@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
>    Can anyone recommend a utility to allow printing ordinary text files
>    (like program listings, etc.) on a PostScript printer?  Specifically,
>    I need to go from a pc-clone to an Apple Laser Writer II NT.
>
> Yes.  My "PostPRN" device driver converts ASCII to PostScript.  If you're
> in 1-2-3, you just print to a file named "PRNPORT", if you want an 80
> column, 66 line page.  Print to "PRNLAND" if you want 132 column, 66 line
> page.  Or to print a file, just copy it to one of the above "filenames".
>
> PostPRN is on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.  Instructions for accessing it,
> including the location of PostPRN were recently posted under the subject
> of "Re: comp.binaries.ibm.pc archive wanted".
>
> --russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667

A commercial program that does a similar, though not identical function:

I sell a product called ETSR.  It is a terminate-and-stay-resident program
that takes Epson MX-80 control codes, translates them to PostScript, and
sends them to the printer.  Support is included for both parallel and serial
interface PostScript printers, but we encourage the parallel interface.
It also provides virtual printer support, so you can have LPT1: reserved
for programs that don't know PostScript, and LPT2: for programs that know
PostScript, and don't require translation.  Stuff going to LPT1: gets
translated and sent to LPT1:.  Stuff going to LPT2: that doesn't need
translation gets sent to LPT1:.  (Or any combination of LPT1, 2, or 3).

The cost is $75 (plus 6.25% sales tax in California).  Send to:

	Niche Marketing
	7198 Camino Colegio
	Rohnert Park, CA 94928

Phone number is (707) 795-7306.

--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
No matter what other nations may say about the United States,