[comp.sys.ibm.pc] COM port chip info needed

wooters@icsib13.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) (03/12/90)

Hello-

I have a generic (made in Taiwan) multi I/O card.  It
has a printer port/clock calend/game/ and (I thought)
two serial ports.  I bought the card a couple of years
ago, and until recently had no need for the second
serial port.  When I tried to hook my mouse to COM2,
I discovered that the card was missing a chip in the
socket marked COM2 :-(.

Does anyone know what this chip is?  (I think it might
be a UART)  What is the number of the chip?  Where can
I order it?

Thanks.
Chuck Wooters
wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/13/90)

In article <22946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) writes:
$I have a generic (made in Taiwan) multi I/O card.  It
$has a printer port/clock calend/game/ and (I thought)
$two serial ports.  I bought the card a couple of years
$ago, and until recently had no need for the second
$serial port.  When I tried to hook my mouse to COM2,
$I discovered that the card was missing a chip in the
$socket marked COM2 :-(.

   All of the I/O cards I've seen (granted, not many) require three
chips to upgrade to a second serial port.  For my board, these are
a 16450 (UART), MC1488P or SN75188 (converts TTL levels to RS-232),
and MC1489P or SN75189 (converts RS-232 levels to TTL).  All three
chips should be available at any half-decent electronics retailer
(for that matter, even Radio Shack used to sell the latter two).
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

mep@stb.uucp (Marty) (03/15/90)

In article <22946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) writes:
>Hello-
>
>I have a generic (made in Taiwan) multi I/O card.  It
>has a printer port/clock calend/game/ and (I thought)
>two serial ports.  I bought the card a couple of years
>ago, and until recently had no need for the second
>serial port.  When I tried to hook my mouse to COM2,
>I discovered that the card was missing a chip in the
>socket marked COM2 :-(.
>
>Does anyone know what this chip is?  (I think it might
>be a UART)  What is the number of the chip?  Where can
>I order it?

You're right, it's a uart. Specifically, it's a 8250 made by
National Semi and others. It can be ordered mail order... just check
out Byte or something similar for addresses.

marty

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (03/18/90)

In article <22946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) writes:

>I have a generic (made in Taiwan) multi I/O card.  It
>has a printer port/clock calend/game/ and (I thought)
>two serial ports.  I bought the card a couple of years

Check with the store (?) where you got the card.  Fry's Electronics in
Fremont sells the DTK 2-port / 1 populated card, and a fairly cheap, looks
generic, add-on for the second port, includes the chip, the extra RS232
connector and a little cable.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293

craigs@cognos.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) (03/21/90)

In article <22946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) writes:
>I discovered that the card was missing a chip in the
>socket marked COM2 :-(.

Most of the cards I have run into use the Intel 8250 (or equivalent) although
Motorola chips show up occasionally -- how to tell?  Get the data sheets
and the data / ground connections -- the chip required should be obvious.

You should also look for spare 14 pin DIP sockets "near" the missing COM2
socket.  These sockets are typically used for the RS232 line drivers
(MC1488 and MC1489).  Many manufacturers seem to leave these chips out
when providing "optional" COM ports.  All of these chips are very common
and very inexpensive (about four dollars in total from any good discount part
distributor) -- Avoid your friendly computer dealer -- I have seem these
upgrade packages advertised for as much as $20.

--
Craig Statchuk           P.O. Box 9707        uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!craigs
Cognos Incorporated      3755 Riverside Dr.