[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Comm packages

fraize@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Scott Fraize) (03/16/90)

Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
but don't know where to turn...

stanton@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Scott Stanton) (03/17/90)

In article <5816@ur-cc.UUCP>, fraize@prodigal (Scott Fraize) writes:
>Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
>lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
>but don't know where to turn...

My personal favourite (and I've tried most at some time or other) is
Telix.  It allows 80x50 mode as well as a raft of other features,
including one of the most powerful script languages I've seen
(although if you don't know C, it might be a bit difficult to program
in).  It also has just about any protocol you'd want, plus the ability
to add externals if you just aren't satisfied with the ones on the
list.

--Scott
--
--Scott (stanton@cs.stanford.EDU)

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (03/17/90)

Try Crosstalk Mark4.  It has emulation of just about every terminal
I've ever heard of including 3270, protocols supported are:

	1. cservb
	2. dart
	3. fast
	4. kermit
	5. xmodem (and varients ymodem etc.)
	6. zmodem (specificly)
	7. and of course xtalk.

It also come with drivers that will talk to most any ega/vga chipset
for all kinds of different screen formats.  It also has xpc drivers(
that I haven't yet had the oppertunity to try out).

All in all its a very good, flexable package at a reasonable price
($139 from the programmers connection), try it you'll like it!!!

disclamer: My boss doesn't even understand what I say, let alone
support it.

I also have no connection to Digital Communications Associates or
the programmers connection except as a very satisified customer.

mep@stb.uucp (Marty) (03/19/90)

In article <5816@ur-cc.UUCP> fraize@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Scott Fraize) writes:
>Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
>lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
>but don't know where to turn...

I don't know about 50 lines in VGA, but TELIX does do 43 lines in EGA.

marty

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (03/19/90)

In article <5816@ur-cc.UUCP>, fraize@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Scott Fraize) writes:
> Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
> lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
> but don't know where to turn...

PibTerm will do what you want; I'm running it under DESQview with 50 lines
right now.  PibTerm can be found at SIMTEL20 in PD2:<MSDOS.PIBTERM>, or at
accuvax.nwu.edu (129.105.49.1).

The script language for PibTerm is as complete as any I've found.  There is a
learn mode as well.  It has VT100 emulation as well as Tektronix 4010
emulation.

Best of all, it's distributed as public domain software (at least for personal
and academic use).
Bitnet: gomme@uwovax.bitnet   gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca   Internet: gomme@uwo.ca

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/19/90)

In article <5407.2603cf32@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) wrote:
}In article <5816@ur-cc.UUCP>, fraize@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Scott Fraize) writes:
}> Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
}> lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
}
}PibTerm will do what you want; I'm running it under DESQview with 50 lines

ZCOMM/ProYAM and my own RBcomm also will handle most any screen size thrown
at them.  PD2:<MSDOS2.ZMODEM>ZCOMM*.*, PD2:<MSDOS2.ZMODEM>YAM*.*, and
PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>RBCOMM30.ARC on SIMTEL20.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/20/90)

    kermit 3.0 has vt320 emulation, and is capable of zmodem transfers.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

  "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red Oct.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/20/90)

In article <86@demott.COM> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    kermit 3.0 has vt320 emulation, and is capable of zmodem transfers.

The first statement is true, but the second is false.  However, it
is relatively easy to define aliases into MsKermit to automatically
do external z-modem transfers.  If you are interested in the details
how to do this, just get (/pc/ts/)tskerm24.arc by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/21/90)

In article <5816@ur-cc.UUCP> fraize@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Scott Fraize) writes:
>Do any of these numerous communications packages support more than 25
>lines?  I'm desperately seeking something that can run at 50 lines/VGA,
>but don't know where to turn...

Kermit, Telix and Qmodem will all support 50-line mode.  Kermit
automatically adjusts itself to the current screen size, whatever that may
be (yes, even 132x44 or whatever warped modes your card will handle), while
the other two will set the screen to 50 lines if you tell them to.