[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SMARTDRV and HighRAM

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (03/21/90)

  Has anyone had any experience in loading DOS 4's SMARTDRV.SYS into the
High RAM area made available by QEMM? Is it better to run SMARTDRV using
extended memory, or use expanded memory under QEMM? (I know extended tends
to be faster, plus I don't do any high-speed serial port reading.)

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/22/90)

In article <2606b522-2621comp.ibmpc@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) writes:

>   Has anyone had any experience in loading DOS 4's SMARTDRV.SYS into the
> High RAM area made available by QEMM? Is it better to run SMARTDRV using
> extended memory, or use expanded memory under QEMM? (I know extended tends
> to be faster, plus I don't do any high-speed serial port reading.)

    I use LOADHI to put SMARTDRV in high memory, and it works fine.  I'm
not sure what the difference between extended and "expanded" memory will
be under QEMM; for a disk cache, both are sufficiently fast that you
won't see much of a net performance difference.  I seem to remember that
the DOS manual recommended using expanded memory for SMARTDRV, but this
may have been aimed at 80286 systems.  A reason that the 386's extended
memory might appear faster than expanded memory is that to access extended
memory, a program calls a BIOS memory move routine.  To access expanded,
a program calls the expanded memory driver, which remaps memory and lets
the calling program do the move.  The BIOS move will be a full 32-bit
block move, while a program using expanded memory will probably use a
16-bit move instruction, for compatibility across processors.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

noelroy@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Noel Roy, Economics Dept., Memorial University) (03/22/90)

In article <2606b522-2621comp.ibmpc@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) writes:
>   Has anyone had any experience in loading DOS 4's SMARTDRV.SYS into the
> High RAM area made available by QEMM? Is it better to run SMARTDRV using
> extended memory, or use expanded memory under QEMM? (I know extended tends
> to be faster, plus I don't do any high-speed serial port reading.)
>
>   Andrew Rossmann
>   andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM
I have been running SMARTDRV.SYS in high RAM using QEMM without
problems.

My tests indicated that loading SMARTDRV into extended memory directly
was significantly faster than loading it into QEMM's emulated expanded
memory.  I forget the details, but the difference was something along
the lines of 8 vs. 11 seconds.

Dr. Noel Roy  				bitnet:   NOELROY@MUN
Department of Economics			internet: noelroy@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Memorial University of Newfoundland	cdnnet:   noelroy@kean.mun.cdn