[comp.sys.ibm.pc] brain-dead 286

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (03/07/90)

MAM155@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>I hesitate to purchase a '386 machine becauseI found that the Bus speed is to
>fast to handle some expansion cards!!!! I mean that one card would work and
>another, of the same model, would not work on the same computer !!!!!
>the machinesthhat has happened on are AT clones with DTK mother boards.
>so I would wait a little longer to buy a '386

All the 386s I've used run the I/O bus at 8 MHz.  Only the processor and
32-bit RAM run at the system's rated speed.  I would expect to have MORE
problems with a fast 286, because the entire system runs at one rate.  I've
used Compaq, Dell, Everex and Dolch 386s and never even once had a bus speed
problem.  This problem was successfully handled with the original 386 - the
Compaq DeskPro 386.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (03/22/90)

Subject: <27842@cup.portal.com>In the following article you wrote...
>After reading some debate on this topic of the 286 vs. 386, I've come to
>wonder what is the advatange of the 486 today? I don't think we can expect
>much software to come out for the 486 specifically this year, so is there
>really an advantage to owning and using a 486?
>If a 386 runs software made for the 286 (assuming they are at the same clock
>rate) at similar speeds, then I take it the 386/486 would follow the same
>pattern.
>So this is what I think is going on, Please correct me if I am wrong...
>A 25 MHz 486 can run software written for the 386 specifically, but a
>25 MHz 386 would run the same program at about the same speed, meaning a 486
>really doesn't (today) have any advantages unless you intend on writing
>software for it.
>
>Is this true? Or does the rule apply only to 286/386?
>Thanks.

There is the advantage of throughput. Graphics software consumes enormous
amounts of processor power. We use Ventura Publisher on a 20MHz 286 and
find lots of time to go for coffee while loading doc's. Determine whether
you need high processor speed for graphics, CAD, CAM, Windows,etc, and buy
to meet the need for 3 years down the road as much as you can, depreciating
the machine on your income tax over the three years. From this point of
view, I can find no good reason for encouraging anyone to buy less than
a 386SX unless $200 means having or not having a machine.

--
    Tom Fortner
    Christian Medical & Dental Society