[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 8-bit boards in 16-bit slots

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (03/22/90)

I'm considering upgrading my XT-clone by swapping out the motherboard for
either a 286 or 386 version.  My question is, will my current add-in
boards work in the 16-bit expansion slots?  My current set of boards in-
cludes disk controller, multi-function I/O, modem, and MIDI interface card.
Will I have to replace any on these or can I use them as is?

Also, will my existing 135W power supply be sufficient if I don't add
additional disk drives?

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (03/22/90)

In article <7937@inco.UUCP> jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) writes:
>I'm considering upgrading my XT-clone by swapping out the motherboard for
>either a 286 or 386 version.  My question is, will my current add-in
>boards work in the 16-bit expansion slots?  My current set of boards in-
>cludes disk controller, multi-function I/O, modem, and MIDI interface card.
>Will I have to replace any on these or can I use them as is?

To my knowledge, all 8-bit cards will work in 16-bit slots.  I've got a
Micronics 386 16MHz motherboard with I/O, mouse, MIDI, second disk controller
card, etc. in 16-bit slots.

You will definately want to get a 16-bit disk controller, though.  The 8-bit
bottleneck is something to avoid if possible.  (Your old controller card
will work, though)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |