[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lotto numbers

nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) (03/14/90)

Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
form? can be downloaded?

Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
programs is greatly appreciated.

BTW. Is there a more appropriate group for such a question?

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/15/90)

[A lotto player] writes:
>Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
>form? can be downloaded?
>Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
>programs is greatly appreciated.

Don't know or care.

>BTW. Is there a more appropriate group for such a question?

Considering that lotto games pay roughly 50 cents on the dollar, and that
the numbers are picked at random (previous numbers do *not* affect the
results), you should post this to alt.stupidity. :-(

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply
Only winners of state lotto games may flame me directly,
   others: copy flame nul:

djh@osc.edu (David Heisterberg) (03/16/90)

In article <7111@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
> [A lotto player] writes:
> >Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
> >form? can be downloaded?
> >Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
> >programs is greatly appreciated.
>
> Don't know or care.

Well, if you don't know or care, why don't you just keep quiet?  Insults
are not necessary.  Perhaps the original poster is simply interested in
doing some statistical analysis, for which the use of lottery numbers
would add some fun.  Similarly, one might use the Dow Jones average as
a more interesting sequence of numbers when learning about Fourier
transforms, correlation, etc.

But suppose the "lotto player" *is* hoping to beat the system; many people
think it can be done.  But perhaps after performing some analysis he'd
learn for himself that "hot streaks" and "sleepers" are nothing more than
"check out line magazine science".  PCs can provide a great opportunity
for people to learn a little more about math and science - something this
country could use - and I'd hate to see them dissuaded from doing so for
fear of being ridiculed by some overly smug individuals with technical
careers.
--------
David J. Heisterberg			djh@osc.edu
The Ohio Supercomputer Center		djh@ohstpy.bitnet
Columbus, Ohio				ohstpy::djh

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (03/19/90)

<Krasny Oktyabr:  "The torpedo has acquisition!"  That's the good news?>

In article <9240023@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com>, nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) writes:
> Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
> form? can be downloaded?
>
> Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
> programs is greatly appreciated.

Okay, there's no way I'm going to post this without a caveat.  There is
no way of predicting what numbers will be drawn in a fair lottery.  The
operators have a great deal of motivation to make the numbers truly
random.  Possible numbers that have never been drawn are no more likely
to be drawn next Thursday than numbers that have been drawn a hundred
times.  (I assume no cheating; if there is cheating, software won't
help you, either.)

There are numbers that people are more or less likely to draw.  In a
four digit lottery, the first two digits are more likely 01 through 12
than 00 or 42 or 99, because a lot of people pick birthdays and such.
For more information, check out the first chapter, "How to win at the
lottery", in Becker's (?) book on S; he does a lot of statistical analysis,
and concludes that enough people have caught on the this trick that the
edge is gone, relative to the odds and the percentages.  I can quote
the last sentence from memory (pretty well):  "Maybe this chapter
should have been titled, 'How to lose less at the lottery.'"

Having said that, Public Brand Software, in their latest (v.6, #1)
catalog, list four disks on this topic.  HP 23.3 includes "33 tables of
5, 6, and 7-digit lotter results to April, 1989.  Included is [sic.]
AZ; CA; Canada 36, 49, 649; CT; DC; DE; FL; IL; IA; KS; KS-B; MA Mega,
Million; MD; MI; MO; NJ; NY 40, 54; OH; OR; PA; PA 7; RI; Tristate; WA;
WV; WV Easy 8.  Many of these states have several lotteries -- we can't
tell if any one you might be interested is here."  The shareware
registration fee for this program and its database is listed as
$40-$80; registration buys you the current release of "an expanded
version" of the software, and a printed manual (but no tech support,
newsletter, or free upgrades).

I've ordered several times from Public Brand Software.  They have
excellent descriptions, and I applaud them for listing the registration
fee for shareware.  They're a bit pricey, as such firms go:  $5 per
disk (5.25" *or* 3.5", which is new for them), plus 5% sales tax in
Indiana, plus $5 shipping and handling.  To order, call 1-800-426-DISK
(that is, 1-800-426-3475), or 1-800-727-3476 in Indiana, or
1-317-856-7571 in Indianapolis, all twenty-four hours a day (except
noon to one p.m. on Fridays); or P.O. Box 51315, Indianapolis, IN
46251.  They take personal checks, Visa, MasterCard, and money orders;
they can ship COD; and they accept Purchase Orders for "over $65 from
most companies, schools, government units.  Terms NET 30."  They also
say, "U.S. funds only.  For foreign orders, it is bet to use Visa/MC."
(If you want to get a lot of software, they have it all on a BBS, and
charge $50/year for an hour a day of access.)  You can call or write
for their catalog.

> BTW. Is there a more appropriate group for such a question?

How about misc.jobs.not.wanted?-)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>[A lotto player] writes:
>>Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
>>form? can be downloaded?

>the numbers are picked at random (previous numbers do *not* affect the
>results), you should post this to alt.stupidity. :-(

Except that the machines are physical, and as such certain physical effects
CAN affect the outcome, so that it is not entirely random.

For instance Some of the ping pong balls weigh slightly more than the others
(the ball itself, and some numbers use more ink than others), so that you
can look at the past performance of a certain machine and tell that some
numbers come up more than others. But this usually does no good to look at
past performance of other machines, only the ones you are betting on. And
even that doesn't always work if they change the balls often.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

josh@cditi.UUCP (Josh Muskovitz) (03/20/90)

In article <7111@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
> [A lotto player] writes:
> >Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
> >form? can be downloaded?
> >Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
> >programs is greatly appreciated.
>
> Don't know or care.
>
> >BTW. Is there a more appropriate group for such a question?
>
> Considering that lotto games pay roughly 50 cents on the dollar, and that
> the numbers are picked at random (previous numbers do *not* affect the
> results), you should post this to alt.stupidity. :-(
>
> Tom Almy
> toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com

Considering that a substantial number of people believe the universe to be
deterministic, the concept of randomness is by its own nature, flawed.  Perhaps
one could predict (or track or study in some other way) Lotto.  Since the
original poster was courteous enough to ask if there was a more appropriate
group, your reply was totally uncalled for.  Think before you post.  The world
may or may not revolve around you.  And if you really don't know or care, then
just shut up.

Josh Muskovitz
Computer Design, Inc.

josh@uunet!cditi

Disclaimer:  My employer doesn't even appro-  >ack<  [message terminated]

ash@mlacus.oz (Ash Nallawalla) (03/22/90)

In article <9240023@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com>, nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) writes:
> Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
> programs is greatly appreciated.
>
> BTW. Is there a more appropriate group for such a question?

I am sure you didn't want the lotto results from the Australian Lotto Bloc
or the New South Wales Lotto. As many countries (and often parts thereof)
have their own lotto systems, you would be better off posting to a group
that is limited to your own state or country.  In Australia we can get our
results from an on-air TV transmission called Austext and probably from
commercial dial-up services.

Ash Nallawalla        Tel: +61 3 823-1959  Fax: +61 3 820-1434
ZL4LM/VK3CIT          Postal: P.O. Box 539, Werribee VIC 3030, Australia.

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (03/22/90)

In article <7111@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
> [A lotto player] writes:
> >Does anyone know if lotto numbers are available anywhere in electronic
> >form? can be downloaded?
> >Any info on where to get lotto drawn numbers or lotto related
> >programs is greatly appreciated.
>
> Considering that lotto games pay roughly 50 cents on the dollar, and that
> the numbers are picked at random (previous numbers do *not* affect the
> results), you should post this to alt.stupidity. :-(

It appears that you are confusing the expectation of picking a winning
number in a Lotto game with the expected rate of return.  They are not
at all the same, and if you think they are then maybe _you_ should
take a course in statistics (!).

It's true that (at least most) Lotto games are set up to make all
possible numbers have an equal probability of payoff.  But this is
not at all the same as all players having equal expected winnings!
For example, if some numbers are picked by more people than others,
than picking those numbers means you must share the winnings with
the other winners (at least in many Lotto games).  An analysis of
the pattern of numbers picked by other players can allow a player
to increase his expected winnings by picking rarely used numbers.

Of course, Lotto games are also set up so that this strategy still
doesn't allow you to have a positive expected return!

I _don't_ play the Lotto games because I understand how low the
probabilities are ... but some people who _do_ understand the
probabilities still play it because it gives them a bit of excitement
& I'm certainly not going to fault them for that (as long as it
doesn't become an obsession).

And as far as that goes, no I don't know about any Lotto software,
though even if I did I wouldn't trust it (see above.  The most
profitable idea in trying to maximize Lotto winnings is probably
going to be trying to second-guess the other Lotto players).

Let's get back to PC's, OK?

						Bruce C. Wright

Your local curmudgeon.