[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4DOS 3.0 aliases

consp06@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) (03/22/90)

I'm sorry, I forgot if I posted this already, but here goes.

  When I use 4dos with a program that shells to dos (Turbo Pascal, i.e.)
the aliases are no longer valid.  Does this have to do with the removal
of aliases from the environment section?  How can I keep the alaises
fron shell to shell?

					-Rob Konigsberg

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (03/22/90)

In article <3182@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>,
consp06@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:

>I'm sorry, I forgot if I posted this already, but here goes.
>
>  When I use 4dos with a program that shells to dos (Turbo Pascal, i.e.)
>the aliases are no longer valid.  Does this have to do with the removal
>of aliases from the environment section?  How can I keep the alaises
>fron shell to shell?

Assuming 4DOS is your secondary shell, aliases are supposed to be
inherited. According to the manual, if you point COMSPEC to
4DOS286.EXE instead of 4DOS.COM, you willl NOT pass aliases on.
However, I noticed exactly the same behavior as you did when I had
COMSPEC pointing to 4DOS.COM, but had it set up to perform no
swapping (/s:N, I think). When I changed this flag to swap to disk,
my aliases were properly passed on. I suspect this is a bug.

I sent a message about this to J.P. Software, but have as yet heard
nothing in reply.

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu