[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What DTP package ?

ml@ktibv.uucp (Marinko Laban) (03/15/90)

Hello, World.

I don't know if this is the right group, but I try ...

I'm looking for T*H*E bets Desktop Publishing Package (or something
like it) in the world. Previous evaluations left two possible candidates,
namely:

	1- Apple MacIntosh with a lot of software

	2- FrameMaker for SUN's

These two packages are basically the same. They include a set of FULLY
integerated software, that is, a WYSIWYG Word Processor, A (simple) 2D Drafting
Package, a Spelling Checker and an Equation program (WYSIWYG eqn.).

Now I've heard rumors about MS-DOS Ventura, and I want to give it a fair change
too. So I would like an answer to the following questions about Ventura:

1. Is it WYSIWYG ? (What You See Is What You Get)

2. Is it an integrated package like FrameMaker ?
   That is, does it come with a WYSIWYG word processor, graphics package etc ?

3. Is it as easy to use as Mac's stuff or FrameMaker ?

4. What hardware do I need minimally ?

5. Can it do the same as Mac/FrameMaker ?

I would be very gratefull if someone can tell me what I need to know.
Please reply by E-mail.

Thanx a lot in advance, greetings.

+------------------------------------------+------------+
| Greetings, Marinko Laban                 |        /// |
| E-mail to: hp4nl.nluug.nl!hp4nl!ktibv!ml |       ///  |
| Company: KTI B.V. Bredewater 26          | \\\  ///   |
|          2700-AB Zoetermeer              |  \\\///    |
|          The Netherlands                 |   \\//     |
+------------------------------------------+------------+

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (03/17/90)

Marinko Laban writes:

> I'm looking for T*H*E bets Desktop Publishing Package (or something
> like it) in the world. Previous evaluations left two possible candidates,
> namely:
>
> 	1- Apple MacIntosh with a lot of software
>
> 	2- FrameMaker for SUN's
>
> These two packages are basically the same. They include a set of FULLY
> integerated software, that is, a WYSIWYG Word Processor, A (simple) 2D Drafting
> Package, a Spelling Checker and an Equation program (WYSIWYG eqn.).

Ventura is not an integrated package, fortunately. I work with Intefleaf (SUN),
troff (VAX), WordPerfect (PC), WORD for Windows (PC), and several others. In
general, integrated packages force you to use the same interface for all
activities. Unfortunately, there is no way that a good writing interface is
anything like a good drawing interface -- the requirements are vastly
different. A good writer can't use an interface designed for an artist and
a good artist can't use an interface designed for a writer -- or at least
not if you want them both to do good work!

The primary value of non-integrated packages is the local competition.
Micrographix Designer, Corel Draw, and some newcomers are working hard
to become the best commercial and technical illustration packages. There
are several others working hard to become the best text creation packages,
and still others for computer aided drafting (CAD) and other functions.
Ventura works with all of them. Every six months or so, new versions come
out that are better. Ventura works with them too -- the integrated programs
don't change very often and never change the interface.

So get a MAC with Quark Express or a PC with Ventura and forget about
Framemaker and Interleaf.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language is to cast spells on other people ..."
								Lisa S Chabot

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (03/19/90)

In article <4224@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
> Marinko Laban writes:
>
> So get a MAC with Quark Express or a PC with Ventura and forget about
> Framemaker and Interleaf.

I run Xenix 3.2.1 with VP/ix.  Does anyone our there know whether Ventura
runs on VP/ix?

I am a deidcated user of EROFF from Elan Software, but I am feeling the
lack of drawing capabilities and want to look at the DOS side for something
with better integration possibilities.

This is a home system, so price is *very* important.

--
Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University

chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) (03/20/90)

In article <584@auvax.AthabascaU.CA>, louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
> I run Xenix 3.2.1 with VP/ix.  Does anyone our there know whether Ventura
> runs on VP/ix?

Ventura 2.0 runs fine under ISC's VP/ix.  A couple of upshots, though:

1. Ventura will only run from a "DOS" drive, not a network drive, without
   running out and buying the network version.  This restricts you to using
   either the virtual C: drive (10M limit), or to playing around with
   DOS partitions on your HD for > 10M of disk space.  10M isn't very
   much to deal with, and you can easily fill that space with printer
   fonts / screen fonts.  Ventura views the Unix drive (Z:) as a network
   drive, and hence the single-user version fails.  There might be a way
   to kludge around this, and I wish I had the time to experiment.

2. Printing is extremely slow if you try to print to a printer; better off
   printing to a FILE which eventually gets onto the UNIX partition, and
   spooling to the unix lp device.

3. Performance is rather slow -- subjectively, I would rate performance
   somewhere between a Turbo-XT and a 8Mhz AT, though it is running
   on a much faster 386 machine (25Mhz).
--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (03/22/90)

In article <4224@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

> So get a MAC with Quark Express or a PC with Ventura and forget about
> Framemaker and Interleaf.

I agree with what you said and now have Ventura (and troff and ...).
What I need now is the right graphics package.  I have played with Adobe
Illustrator.  It is overkill and a resource hog.  I expect some of this
problem is due to running under windows but it is still too big and too
slow.

My requirements are fairly simple.  Technical illustrations (we publish
books on C and UNIX) but no funny drawings, curves and such.  I am about
to trade Illustrator for GEM-draw to check it out but would appreciate any
experience others have.

In passing, the February issue of Small Press has a decent article on
selecting a DTP program.  The April issue (which isn't out yet) is
supposed to cover selecting a graphics package.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

In article <1448@chansw.UUCP>, chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:
> In article <584@auvax.AthabascaU.CA>, louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
> > I run Xenix 3.2.1 with VP/ix.  Does anyone our there know whether Ventura
> > runs on VP/ix?

> Ventura 2.0 runs fine under ISC's VP/ix.  A couple of upshots, though:

My comments are related to running it under VP/ix 1.1 on XENIX.

> 1. Ventura will only run from a "DOS" drive, not a network drive, without
>    running out and buying the network version.

I just loaded it onto the XENIX file system by running vpix as a user and
then running the Ventura install script.  It installed fine.

> 2. Printing is extremely slow if you try to print to a printer; better off
>    printing to a FILE which eventually gets onto the UNIX partition, and
>    spooling to the unix lp device.

True.  Our postscript printer is on another systems anyway so I uucp the
files over to print.  This is done by a shell script so you don't see the
kludge.

> 3. Performance is rather slow -- subjectively, I would rate performance
>    somewhere between a Turbo-XT and a 8Mhz AT, though it is running
>    on a much faster 386 machine (25Mhz).

We are running it on a 16MHz cache buffered 386.  It seems to run at
about the same speed as on a 16MHz 386SX.

--

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (03/22/90)

> >(Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

> > So get a MAC with Quark Express or a PC with Ventura and forget about
> > Framemaker and Interleaf.

> (Phil Hughes) writes:

> I agree with what you said and now have Ventura (and troff and ...).
> What I need now is the right graphics package.  I have played with Adobe
> Illustrator.  It is overkill and a resource hog.  I expect some of this
> problem is due to running under windows but it is still too big and too
> slow.
>
> My requirements are fairly simple.  Technical illustrations (we publish
> books on C and UNIX) but no funny drawings, curves and such.  I am about
> to trade Illustrator for GEM-draw to check it out but would appreciate any
> experience others have.

First, the graphics mode in Ventura may be sufficient for your needs. It allows
you to draw text boxes, lines, etc. It's not very sophisticated, but if you
are doing books on C and UNIX you may not need anyting more.

I personally use Micrograhix Designer. Designer and Corel Draw are the two top
of the line illustration programs for the PC. Designer is slightly better for
technical illustration while Corel is slightly better for advertising
illustration. Illustrator for the PC has a poor reputation. Something
simpler may well work better for your needs.