[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3-6 Computers

bwf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bernard.w.fecht) (03/13/90)

I am also looking for good/bad news about particular mail-order
386-clone shops.  There is a company call 3-6 Computers (advertised
in PC Week) that sells a 80386 Micronics package for $1995 (price
does not include monitor).

Any opinions on Micronics and/or 3-6 Computers?

What advantages do I lose by going with a less-expensive, less-known
clone provider (eg. 3-6, I think) than, say, Gateway or CompuAdd?

Thanks.

Bill Fecht

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (03/22/90)

bwf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bernard.w.fecht) writes:

>I am also looking for good/bad news about particular mail-order
>386-clone shops.  There is a company call 3-6 Computers (advertised
>in PC Week) that sells a 80386 Micronics package for $1995 (price
>does not include monitor).
>Any opinions on Micronics and/or 3-6 Computers?
>Bill Fecht

I purchased my 386/20 from 3-6 computers some time ago and I was
VERY pleased with the way I was treated.    I got what was called
the 'push 16' product which was Micronics way of saying that they
cherry picked parts for 16 Mhz boards that would let them run
20 Mhz.    That was also back in the days when you had to
specifically ask for a 'double sigma' 386 to avoid getting a
chip with the non-32 bit bug in it.    They call them SX, now.

I had 3-6 strip my system and only send me the basics since I
was converting from an XT system.  They credited me for things like
controllers and disk drives.    I moved all the peripherals from the
XT to the new Micronics from 3-6 and the system was PLUG AND PLAY!
I had to modify the config and autoexec files to get things to work
well.  The only problem I had was that 3-6 sent me a 16 Mhz board
in the beginning, but it only took a phone call and they fed-x
me a new processor board.

Later I went to an ESDI disk drive using the WD-1007 controller.
This mean't that I had to go with the Phoenix bios to get things
to work.  A direct call to Micronics resulted in me talking to
folks that were knowledgeable and able to answer all my questions.

I have visited the Micronics booth at the past 2 fall Comdex shows.
They introduced some very impressive products.   I gawked at their
GOLD PLATED 486 cabinet for some time and their color 486 lap top
was interesting.    I got the impression that they were trying to
get the reputation of advancing the technology of the industry.

If I were to do it again, I would get a Micronics 386 from Frank
at 3-6 computers without hesitation.  I made my initial decision
to go with them because of the 3 companies I narrowed my search
to, they were the only ones that knew the product, were able to
answer my questions, and spoke understandable english.  No offence
intended to anyone, but I was expecting to have lots of problems
and would need to have much communication with the company.

I missed the original part of this thread.   I hope my comments
were in line with the topic.
hb

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE: 316-636-8016       TELEX: 417-465         FAX: 316-636-8889