[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MAC disks on an AT

tony4@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Anthony H. Galway) (03/17/90)

	I have a 386 clone and want to be able to work with disks for
a Macintosh. I would appreciate any help that you have to offer. I need
to know what kind of hardware and software is necessary, and what the
most reliable way is.

--
Tony Galway	               |
tony4@stretch.cs.mun.ca	       |  "How many observers?"

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/20/90)

>	I have a 386 clone and want to be able to work with disks for
>a Macintosh. I would appreciate any help that you have to offer. I need
>to know what kind of hardware and software is necessary, and what the
>most reliable way is.

The Central Point Deluxe Option Board will allow a PC clone 3.5" drive to read
and write Mac disks in addition to copying just about any known copy protected
PC disks.  It can't of course allow a PC to run Mac software.  Also you
need a 1.44 Mbyte 3.5" drive to handle the new higher desnity Mac disks.

                                        Brent H. Besler

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar17.131553.25385@stretch.cs.mun.ca> tony4@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Anthony H. Galway) writes:

>	I have a 386 clone and want to be able to work with disks for
>a Macintosh. I would appreciate any help that you have to offer. I need
>to know what kind of hardware and software is necessary, and what the
>most reliable way is.

				all you need is a Central Point Software
Deluxe Option card , which is a 1/2 length 8-bit card that installs
between your drive and disc controller . it will read Mac 3-1/2" discs
directly ( assuming that you have a 3-1/2" drive , that is , without the
need for any additional software purchase . as a bonus , it will let you
back up _any_ copy-protected disc ( although i did see an ad for a copy
-protection scheme that claimed to defeat it , but i've never heard of a
program which it could not handle . )

							-a.stranger

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (03/20/90)

If I got the correct impression, the new Mac floppy drives, the 1.44 meg
type, actually use the same track/sector layout, etc, as the rest of the
world (e.g., MS-DOS).  Thus, one would only need software to translate
(on either end) between the two different file-system organizations of
files on the sectors.  Or is my impression of temporary sanity on the
part of Apple only an illusion?

- Moshe (former Apple II fan) Braner

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/20/90)

In article <9938@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
>If I got the correct impression, the new Mac floppy drives, the 1.44 meg
>type, actually use the same track/sector layout, etc, as the rest of the
>world (e.g., MS-DOS).

    Actually no, but the drive is capable of reading, writing, and formatting
MS-DOS floppies, by using special (included) software.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

 "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red October

user_442@dayton.saic.com (J.C. Kelly) (03/23/90)

In article <2517@ultb.isc.rit.edu>, cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) writes:
> In article <1990Mar17.131553.25385@stretch.cs.mun.ca> tony4@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Anthony H. Galway) writes:
>>
>>	I have a 386 clone and want to be able to work with disks for
>>a Macintosh. I would appreciate any help that you have to offer. I need
>>to know what kind of hardware and software is necessary, and what the
>>most reliable way is.
>
> 				all you need is a Central Point Software
> Deluxe Option card , which is a 1/2 length 8-bit card that installs
> between your drive and disc controller . it will read Mac 3-1/2" discs
> directly ( assuming that you have a 3-1/2" drive , that is , without the
> need for any additional software purchase . as a bonus , it will let you
> back up _any_ copy-protected disc ( although i did see an ad for a copy
> -protection scheme that claimed to defeat it , but i've never heard of a
> program which it could not handle . )

Another approach is to use your MAC to create AT-readable files. The Apple
File Transfer utility, which comes on the MAC utility disk,
can translate a MAC file to IBM format and write directly to an IBM formatted
disk that you shoveinto the MAC internal drive.
Yesterday, for example,  we created a MAC MS Word file, ran it through Apple
File Transfer, and wrote it to an AT formatted (720K) diskette. We then put
that same diskette into an AT, and read in the file to MS/DOS MS Word.
NO PROBLEM! The AT read the disk without whining and MS Word displayed the
file with no garbage or complaining.