[net.movies] FLASHDANCE

neff (04/20/83)

I saw FLASHDANCE last weekend and have a different opinion from
most that I have heard about the movie.  While the movie
is visually quite interesting, it seemed to me to be all style and
no substance.  Character development was minimal - I never really felt
the supposedly intense desire the lead character claimed to have to be a
dancer.  The rest of the cast had no discernible personality.
I guess I don't go to the right bars, but I could not believe that
such a place as the one she danced in would ever exist this side of
never-never land.

Of course, this is the kind of movie you go to for the dancing and not
the plot.  The dancing was fine, a bit too gimmicky at times, but still
fun to watch.  If all the nondancing scenes had been deleted the movie
would have been much improved for me.

I love dance movies - "All That Jazz" is one of my all time favorite movies -
but FLASHDANCE isn't even in the same league.  For a cheap matinee I would
recommend FLASHDANCE but don't expect to see a turning point in the history
of cinema.

Mark

oatts@inuxc.UUCP (04/26/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site burl.UUCP
Path:burl!spanky!ihnp4!ixn5c!inuxc!oatts
Date:Tue, 26-Apr-83 15:15:24 EDT

    Flashdance is a movie one sees if you enjoy watching people dance.  It
has a Fame-like scenario; and isn't worth over 2 dollars(excluding cost of
popcorn, pop, date or whatever).  I enjoyed the movie, but was glad to have
paid only $1.50 to see the movie.  The dancing is exciting and many of the
scenes reek with permiscuity and provication.  It is an adolescently centered
film; and I am proud to say that I am an adolescent, I would see the movie
again(not for 4 dollars) and would definitely go with a date.  There is some-
thing in the picture for both male and female.

                                            P.J. Oatts
                                            IN Comp. Center