[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS Word using 800x600 VGA resolution

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (03/15/90)

How can I configure MS Word for Windows to use the full 800 x 600 resolution
of which my VGA card/monitor is capable? My understanding is that when a
program is installed, there should be a section asking at what resolution
I want to run the program, but there was no such section when I installed Word.
I want to use the highest resolution so that I can see the print preview as
clearly as possible.

While I am on the subject, how can I make the backround blue when I am in the
shell? Is there a standard way, or does it depend on the VGA card? I couldn't
find how to do it in the VGA software manual.

Thanks.

tk
_________

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/15/90)

In article <63320011@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

>How can I configure MS Word for Windows to use the full 800 x 600 resolution
>of which my VGA card/monitor is capable? My understanding is that when a
>program is installed, there should be a section asking at what resolution
>I want to run the program, but there was no such section when I installed Word.
>I want to use the highest resolution so that I can see the print preview as
>clearly as possible.

I understand that you have bought only Word for Windows (which includes run-time
version on Windows). If this is the situation I'm not sure if this is any help.
But to get the resolution you mentioned you should install Windows with driver
that you got with your graphics card or computer. When Windows Setup asks you
to choose graphics card you choose OTHER and then put in the disk where you have
the drivers for your graphics card.
Hope this helps.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (03/16/90)

>>How can I configure MS Word for Windows to use the full 800 x 600 resolution
>>of which my VGA card/monitor is capable? My understanding is that when a
>>program is installed, there should be a section asking at what resolution
>>I want to run the program, but there was no such section when I installed Word.
>>I want to use the highest resolution so that I can see the print preview as
>>clearly as possible.
>
>I understand that you have bought only Word for Windows (which includes run-time
>version on Windows). If this is the situation I'm not sure if this is any help.
>But to get the resolution you mentioned you should install Windows with driver
>that you got with your graphics card or computer. When Windows Setup asks you
>to choose graphics card you choose OTHER and then put in the disk where you have
>the drivers for your graphics card.
>Hope this helps.

Ah, this brings up another question that I have: Is there a problem
in running MS Word for Windows without Windows 386? Certainly there are
ultimate advantages to having full windows, such as being able to pull in
data from another window into Word. The only reason that I don't have
Windows 386 is that I am holding out for the rumored next version (3.0?) of
Windows. Perhaps my graphics card (Fastwrite I think) can supply a driver
for Word.

Climb that learning curve, trudge trudge trudge.....

tk

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (03/17/90)

In article <63320014@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
>>>How can I configure MS Word for Windows to use the full 800 x 600 resolution
>>>of which my VGA card/monitor is capable? My understanding is that when a

>Ah, this brings up another question that I have: Is there a problem
>in running MS Word for Windows without Windows 386? Certainly there are
>ultimate advantages to having full windows, such as being able to pull in
>data from another window into Word.
	Currently the best environment for running WfW (Word for Windows)
	is probably Windows 286v2.11 and 386^Max.  This will provide more
	memory for WfW to use.  Windows 386 should really only be used when
	one wants to run DOS programs from within Windows.  It does not
	really give Windows programs many benefits.  The makers of Actor
	also recommend running Windows 286 and 386^Max instead of Windows 386.
	On the other hand, I would not recommend running any Windows program
	under only the runtime version.  Windows 286 is only $50 mail order
	and you get Windows Write - the perfect Word Processor for letters
	and simple documents.

>The only reason that I don't have
>Windows 386 is that I am holding out for the rumored next version (3.0?) of
>Windows.
	I think we all are waiting for the release of Windows 3.0.  It should
	solve some of the memory cram that I am facing when running WfW on a
	4.0 Meg machine.
>Perhaps my graphics card (Fastwrite I think) can supply a driver
>for Word.
	The Fastwrite VGA card has 800x600x16colors driver for Windows.
	It also has drivers for 640x400 and 640x480.  I believe that the
	Video 7 BBS has a 640x400x256 color driver also.

	I hope this helps you somewhat.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (03/17/90)

There is no declaration in Word for Windows because the output is
through Windows, now Word.  In the Windows installation, you have
the opportunity to load high resolution display drivers if you
have them.  For instance, I have an Intelligent Graphics
Controller and load a windows driver that gives very high
resolution.  These drivers are supplied with the graphics cards
generally.

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (03/22/90)

>>Perhaps my graphics card (Fastwrite I think) can supply a driver
>>for Word.
>	The Fastwrite VGA card has 800x600x16colors driver for Windows.
>	It also has drivers for 640x400 and 640x480.  I believe that the
>	Video 7 BBS has a 640x400x256 color driver also.
>
>	I hope this helps you somewhat.
>
>	-----Dale
>		Rogerson-----

My question still stands. Can I configure my VGA card to drive MS Word for
Windows at the 800x600 resolution without a windows program?
I believe the answer is no, but I'm not sure. One solution seems to be to
get an inexpensive Windows 286, configure the high-res graphics, then run
MS Word in this window's environment.

tk

jeffmu@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MUZZY) (03/23/90)

Subject: Re: MS Word using 800x600 VGA resolution

|My question still stands. Can I configure my VGA card to drive MS Word for
|Windows at the 800x600 resolution without a windows program?
|I believe the answer is no, but I'm not sure. One solution seems to be to
|get an inexpensive Windows 286, configure the high-res graphics, then run
|MS Word in this window's environment.

The answer is "It depends on your video hardware". If the video company has
written a 600x800 video driver for windows then yes you can. If not then
no.

Word for Windows install a runtime version of windows for you from setup
if you don't already own windows.

Call your customer support number for you video board and ask if they have
a high res 800x600 video driver for windows.

Jeff Muzzy

--
jeffmu@microsoft or uunet!microsoft!jeffmu    MaBellNet: (206) 882-8080
<Insert your favorite disclaimer about opinions and companies here>