[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate Slimline 386/20 PC

rao@ka.excelan.com (Viswanath Rao) (03/21/90)

Has anyone used the Northgate Slimline 386/20 PC?  I think it is called
the Northgate SL20.2 model and has been a regular feature in Northgate
ads in PC Week.  I want to know any good/bad points about this PC and
whether it is a good buy as a home computer.  The features quoted to me
by a Northgate sales person are:
	80386 20 MHz
	2 MBytes 80-ns RAM
	5 expansion slots (2 full, 1 1-3/4 (?), 2 1/2 length)
	1 parallel/2 serial
	80387 co-processor socket
	AMI BIOS and Setup in ROM
	100 W power supply (seems like this is too low!)
	40 MB RLL 3.5" Hard disk
	1.2 MB 5.25 floppy drive
	1.44 MB 3.5" floppy drive
	MS-DOS 4.01
	SmartDrive disk caching software
	14" VGA color monitor
	Omnikey 101/102 keyboard
	Windows/386 or Windows 3.0 (when released)
	1-year limited warranty and unlimited telephone support

All this for the incredible price of $3099.00.  And I may get a $200.00
discount if they are still having some rebate going on!!

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
vish
Novell, San Jose (formerly Excelan)
UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,amdahl,mtxinu,cae780}!excelan!rao  Viswanath Rao
Internet: rao@novell.COM
Ma Bell:  (408) 473-8457
Subject: Northgate Slimline 386/20 PC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

hollyr@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Holly Raab) (03/23/90)

We happen to have that exact setup here (the VGA monitor is
a NEC multisync 2A).  It works fine with the exception that
we cannot create fonts for Ventura with Bitstream fontware.
We orginally had the 2.0 version, and tech support for Bitstream
said that it wouldn't run on a 386 machine, so they sent us
the 1.0 version.  We tried that, with no avail.  It seems to
work on my system (same northgate 386 with a NEC monograph
monitor), just not with that particular setup (it's not the
computer, we have two setups like that, doesn't run on either).

The real problems started happening when we put the NEC monograph
{full-screen, for desktop publishing} monitor with my Northgate.
First we had problems with Ventura.  Those (with the help of
a driver from NEC) have just about cleared up.  The real problem
is communicating with the mainframe here.  Regardless of the
communication package, characters are dropped.  It seems like
a simple problem but it's not.  The tech people here have tried
to fix it, as well as the tech support people at NEC and Northgate.

That about sums it up.  Good luck with your purchase.

Holly Raab