[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP Wordperfect 5.1

17002_3324@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/23/90)

Does anyone have a listing of bugs in WordPerfect 5.1? I understand
there is a 'new' version of 5.1 available; does this solve all
the problems in the current version?

I am using a networked version (DEC PCSA) version of WP5.1; a rather
disturbing error is cropping up; WP seems to randomly substitute
two letters (eg 'Hx') for two letters sporadically throughout my document.
The letters are the same for each user session; documents created on a
certain day seem to have the same letters, but the letters change day to day.

I assumed this was an isolated instance, but found that other users on
site were experiencing the same problem (often with serious results if
the letters were appearing within graphics)

The appears to be no common ground between different reports of this problem
so the circumstances are difficult to reproduce. It could I suppose be a network
noise problem, or a hardware problem, however this has not appeared on WP5.0
at all.

Any thoughts on the above would be gratefully accepted!

Nick Tate

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/23/90)

In article <5463.26094224@uwovax.uwo.ca> 17002_3324@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>there is a 'new' version of 5.1 available; does this solve all
>the problems in the current version?

I received a January upgrade that fixed all problems I was seeing except for
poor performance with large documents (up to 10 times slower for such things
as creating an index and table of contents).

>I am using a networked version (DEC PCSA) version of WP5.1; a rather
>disturbing error is cropping up; WP seems to randomly substitute
>two letters (eg 'Hx') for two letters sporadically throughout my document.
>The letters are the same for each user session; documents created on a
>certain day seem to have the same letters, but the letters change day to day.

We had the same problem with a standard version. The problem went away with
the January release.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

scs2635@cec1.wustl.edu (Sean Cronin Starkey) (03/24/90)

>Does anyone have a listing of bugs in WordPerfect 5.1? I understand
>there is a 'new' version of 5.1 available; does this solve all
>the problems in the current version?

This is the README.WP file on the current update version.

README.WP                   01/19/90
This README file lists enhancements to the files on the Program
diskette(s) that are not yet documented in the Reference Manual.
Dates in parentheses indicate when a feature was implemented.
Please refer to the README files on the other master diskettes
for additional information.

The following files have changed since the 11/06/89 release:

WP.EXE
WP.FIL
WP.MRS
WP.QRS
KEYS.MRS
STANDARD.IRS
STANDARD.VRS

ASSISTED MOUSE POINTER MOVEMENT  (11/06)
Assisted Mouse Pointer Movement has been added to the Mouse Setup
menu.  Normally, when you display the menu bar or other WP menus,
the mouse pointer remains in its current position.  By setting
Assisted Mouse Pointer Movement to Yes, the mouse pointer will
automatically be positioned on the first menu item that can be
selected.

BORDER OPTIONS  (01/19)
Border Options, a feature that lets you change the width,
shading, and spacing for borders of graphics boxes and tables has
been added to the Other Format menu.

CHARACTER SETS  (01/19)
WP Character Set 10 now includes 47 additional characters
(characters 102-149).

EQUATIONS  (11/06)
The pound sign (#) works in the outermost level of an equation as
a line separator.  For example, "a=b-c # a=d+3" will produce the
following equation:
                        a=b-c
                        a=d+3

This can only be done at the outermost level, not within any
other commands.  The STACK, STACKALIGN, and MATRIX commands
should be used for inner levels, (e.g., STACK {a=b-c # a=d+3}).

EQUATIONS  (11/06)
The LINESPACE command lets you to change the vertical line
spacing within STACK, STACKALIGN, and MATRIX structures.  The
LINESPACE command syntax is "LINESPACE number" where "number" is
a percentage (from 0 to 400 percent) of the normal line spacing
for these structures.  The command must come before any of these
structures in order to take effect and is only used to override
the normal line spacing done by the equation formatter.  For
example, "LINESPACE 200" is 200% of normal line spacing.

EQUATIONS  (11/06)
Within the Equation Editor, the Insert key toggles in and out of
Typeover mode.  When you are in Typeover mode, the message
"Typeover" is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen.

EQUATIONS  (01/19)
Added the Long Division operators to the equation palette.  The
LONGDIV and LONGDIVS (Straight) commands are dynamic symbols
based on characters 224 and 223 in WP Character Set #7.

EXPANDED MEMORY  (01/19)
Added /32 Startup Switch.  Some expanded memory cards and
simulators identify themselves as LIM 4.0 compatible when, in
fact, they do not support all the 4.0 functions.  The /32 switch
forces WP to use LIM 3.2 calls only when accessing expanded
memory.

EXPANDED MEMORY  (01/19)
WP can now use expanded memory on some previously unusable memory
managers.  Because of these changes, WP no longer appears to be
using "Data Aliasing" on other memory managers.

GRAPHICS  (01/19)
When you change the contents of a graphics box from "Graphic" to
"Graphic on Disk," WP prompts you to save the graphic image to
disk.  Press Cancel to change the file without saving it.

KEYBOARD  (01/19)
Pressing Ctrl-6 from anywhere within WP temporarily returns you
to the original keyboard.  Pressing Ctrl-6 twice in succession
will again enable the selected keyboard.  This feature also works
in the equation editor with an equation keyboard.

LIST FILES  (11/06)
Look lets you use the PgUp and PgDn keys to "look" at the
previous or next files in your current directory.  These two keys
perform the same function as the Next and Previous options in the
Look menu.

LIST FILES  (01/19)
The Up and Down arrow keys change the direction of a search in
the List Files and Look features.

MACRO EDITOR  (11/06)
The manual indicates the Escape key can be used to display the
Macro Commands menu.  This is incorrect; the Escape key now
functions as Cancel inside the Macro Editor.

MACROS/MERGE  (11/06)
The operational state number 32,768 has been added for use with
the {STATE} macro programming command.  This bit is set when it
is not possible to go to Shell or DOS.
MACROS/MERGE  (01/19)
Added the {SYSTEM}keystate~ system variable.  The numerical
equivalent of {SYSTEM}keystate~ is {SYSTEM}26~.  The values and
associated meanings are as follows: 1 - Right Shift key is
pressed, 2 - Left Shift key is pressed, 4 - Ctrl key is pressed,
8 - Alt key is pressed, 16 - Scroll Lock key is locked, 32 - Num
Lock key is locked, 64 - Caps Lock key is locked, 128 - Insert
key is locked.

MENU SELECTIONS  (11/06)
In menus where there are more selections than numbered options,
the symbols "/", "\", ":", "*", "?", "+", "=" correspond to the
numbers 10-16.  This allows macro selections to be translated for
use with all language versions of WP.  For example, the main
Print menu has seven numbered choices as well as several others.
These other choices can be selected by the numbers 8 and 9
followed by the characters /, \, etc.

MENU SELECTIONS  (01/19)
The following menus have been enhanced to recognize and accept
the following equivalent keystrokes for menu items that are not
numbered.  These enhancements allow macros to work with all
language versions of WP.

Tab Set: / is equivalent to choosing Type, the Tab key will set a
Left tab, Center (Shift-F6) will set a Center tab, Flush Right
(Alt-F6) will set a Right tab, Tab Align (Ctrl-F6) will set a
Decimal tab.

Units of Measure:  1 = " (inches), 2 = inches, 3 = centimeters, 4
= points, 5 = 1200ths of an inch, 6 = WP 4.2 units.

Sort Keys:  1 = alphanumeric, 2 = numeric.

Name Search:  = will invoke Name Search in all menus.

"Yes/No" ("No/Yes") menus: 1 = Yes, 2 = No.

MERGE  (01/19)
If you are entering a filename for a primary or secondary merge
file and the file cannot be found, WP return you to the filename
prompt.

MOUSE  (01/19)
If you remove STANDARD.IRS from the WP directory WP loads without
any mouse information.  You may also unselect a mouse by
highlighting the current selection and pressing *.

OUTLINE  (11/06)
When Outline is on and Enter is set to insert a paragraph number,
pressing Ctrl-V before pressing Enter instructs WP to insert a
hard return without inserting a new paragraph number.  Pressing
Ctrl-V before pressing Ctrl-Enter will insert a page break
without inserting a new paragraph number.
OUTLINE  (11/06)
When you select (Uppercase or Lowercase Roman/Digits if Attached)
as the User-defined Paragraph Number Definition, a paragraph
number will be a Roman numeral when it is displayed at its own
level.  When it is attached at subsequent levels, an Arabic
numeral is substituted.  This allows you to have legal style
subheadings beneath a Roman numeral heading.  For example, a
selection of "X - Uppercase Roman/Digits if Attached" for the
first level paragraph number would produce:
     I  ARTICLE
          1.1  Section
               1.1.1  Subsection

PAPER SIZE/TYPE  (01/19)
Text adjustments under paper size/type will now allow fractional
numeric input.

PRINTING  (01/19)
Fonts that are 6.25% larger or smaller than the base font will no
longer be selected as substitute fonts.  If available, extended
characters will now be printed graphically instead of using a
much smaller/larger substitute font.

PRINTING  (01/19)
To reduce print codes, speed up printing time, and reduce
required printer memory, WP treats contiguous spaces as one
larger space on printers with absolute horizontal motion.

SORT  (01/19)
Extended characters (foreign currency symbols) are now ignored
when WP sorts numeric fields.

SPELL  (01/19)
You can use the mouse to select replacement words during a spell
check.

SPREADSHEET  (01/19)
Added support for Borland's Quattro and Quattro Pro spreadsheets.
Importing Quattro Pro may be noticeably slower than importing
other spreadsheets because cells are stored in column order.  As
a result, WP must make several passes through the Quattro Pro
file to convert it to row order.

TEXT IN/OUT  (01/19)
When you use Text In/Out (Ctrl-F5) to save a document in a format
different than the format in which it was originally retrieved, a
default filename is normally not given.  If you press Retrieve
(Shift-F10) at the "Document to be saved" prompt, however, the
filename appears.  This only works on files that have originally
been retrieved using Shift-F10.

TEXT SCREEN TYPE  (01/19)
The screen driver for Text (no graphics) has been removed from
STANDARD.VRS.  This driver is now a separate .VRS file named
GTEXT.VRS and is available on the Graphic Drivers diskette.  For
ordering information, contact WordPerfect Information Services at
(801) 225-5000.

TWO DISK DRIVES  (01/19)
STANDARD.VRS contains several of the most common graphics/text
screen drivers combined into one file.  If you are running
WordPerfect on a two disk drive system (no hard disk) and feel
that STANDARD.VRS is taking up too much space on your floppy
diskettes, you may prefer to use the individual drivers available
on the Graphic Drivers diskette.  Using only one or two of these
separate .VRS files in place of the larger STANDARD.VRS file can
free some disk space.  Contact WordPerfect Information Services
at (801) 225-5000 for ordering information.

I had a lot of problems with my first release (11/06/89).  Call up the
support line, give them your errors, and your registration number for a
new release.
--
#    Sean Starkey   }:>    Washington University    scs2635@cec2.wustl.edu    #
#    6926 Millbrook Blvd. 3-204           1761 Happ Road                      #