[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can your 386 run F19 & other "Games"?

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (03/22/90)

Well, I finally got my Gateway 2000 20MHz 386 and have installed
almost everything I could think of trying, adn had no problems.
However, I can get the following to run on my machine:

1) F19 & Gunship - Programs load, come up in the normal cockpit view, but
                   the keyboard (and machine) are locked up.
                   Ctl-Alt-Del doesn't work.  I have to power down to restart.

2) Deja Vu, ShadowGate, Uninvited -- These programs seem to load fine.
                   However, you can't use the on-screen menu to Open,
                   Examine, etc. any of the objects.

I've tested Tetris, Welltris, and Microsoft Filght Simulator V4.0 and
all ran normally.

I'm going to call Microprose today (F19 & Gunship) to see what they
say.  If they have a version that works on a 20MHz 386, what do you
want to bet they'd be willing to SELL it to me.

Anybody want to comment on the stuff they found wouldn't run on a 386?

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (03/23/90)

I called Microprose.  I was told that they only test thier games with
DOS 3.3.  I use 4.01.  Then the guy suggested that I get rid of any
TSRs.  I was running Alias and Spectrum, both from PC Mag.  I
re-booted without the TSRs, and F19 worked just fine.  I'll have to
try the other games I mentioned in my previous posting and see what happens.

robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8516) (03/23/90)

In article <DSAMPSON.90Mar22140305@x102a.harris-atd.com> dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:
>I called Microprose.  I was told that they only test thier games with
>DOS 3.3.  I use 4.01.  Then the guy suggested that I get rid of any
>TSRs.  I was running Alias and Spectrum, both from PC Mag.  I
                                                    ^^^^^^
>re-booted without the TSRs, and F19 worked just fine.  I'll have to
>try the other games I mentioned in my previous posting and see what happens.
>
>David

	Everyone should be real careful when using PC MAGAZINE utilities.
I used to use PRN2FILE to redirect screen output to a file. Well, occasionnaly, when BTRIEVE was writing things to a file, it was redirected as if it was going
to the printer. It took me a few month to find out the problem

Robert Meunier                     Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
Ingenieur                          1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
Internet: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca  Qc, Canada, J3X 1S1

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (03/24/90)

In article <633@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca>, robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8516)
says:

>>TSRs.  I was running Alias and Spectrum, both from PC Mag.  I
>>re-booted without the TSRs, and F19 worked just fine.
>
>        Everyone should be real careful when using PC MAGAZINE utilities.
>I used to use PRN2FILE to redirect screen output to a file. Well,
>occasionnaly,
>when BTRIEVE was writing things to a file, it was redirected as if it was
>going
>to the printer. It took me a few month to find out the problem

Just to add to this, I have CONFIRMED that ALIAS will not work with QEMM