[comp.sys.ibm.pc] JDR's 2400 baud modem/4800 baud fax card

sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) (03/23/90)

JDR Microdevices (1-800-538-5000) has a combined 2400 baud modem
4800 baud fax card for PC XT's and AT's, for $119.95

It's described as 4800 baud Group 3 transmit only fax,
2400 baud V.22bis modem

It does not say the magic words Hayes compatible.

Has anyone used this card ? What are your opinions about the modem
part : is it actually Hayes compatible, or close, and can regular
comm packages use it easily ?

About the fax part, I do my letters on a Brother HR15 daisywheel printer
(it's said to be Diablo 630 compatible). If I have a file with Brother
specific escape codes (f.i. to set characters per inch pitch),
will the fax card software send a faithful replica ? (I don't mind
if it's not the same font).

Thanks,

/ Jon Sreekanth

US Mail : J Sreekanth, 2 Ashford Court #3, Allston, MA 02134
          Digital Equipment Corp., 77 Reed Road, HLO2-1/J12, Hudson, MA 01749
Voice Phone : 617-783-9401 eves, 508-568-7195 work

seeba@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) (03/23/90)

In article <9495@shlump.nac.dec.com> sreekanth@rgb.dec.com
(Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>JDR Microdevices (1-800-538-5000) has a combined 2400 baud modem
>4800 baud fax card for PC XT's and AT's, for $119.95
>
>It's described as 4800 baud Group 3 transmit only fax,
>2400 baud V.22bis modem
>
>It does not say the magic words Hayes compatible.

  The JDR modem/fax card is made by Prometheus, to the best of my
  knowledge.  I have a 2400 bps Prometheus modem, and it IS Hayes
  compatible, so I think you will find this for the JDR modem as well.
  Being Hayes compatible, it works with most comm programs; I use my
  Prometheus with ProComm+.

>About the fax part, I do my letters on a Brother HR15 daisywheel printer
>(it's said to be Diablo 630 compatible). If I have a file with Brother
>specific escape codes (f.i. to set characters per inch pitch),
>will the fax card software send a faithful replica ? (I don't mind
>if it's not the same font).

  In another machine, I have a a 2400 bps modem/fax card; it is the
  one put out by Zoom.  I have been extremely well pleased by its
  performance.  It is a send only fax (same as the JDR combo), and
  uses software from Bit Software, Inc. for the transmission of
  faxes at 4800 bps.  These fax cards will send ASCII files, and
  usually work with graphic files in TIFf and PCX formats, but those
  details are software dependent.  A word processor file will generally
  not work, because the software may not be set up to recognize the
  embedded codes, or the escape characters that are being sent to the
  printer.  Software is coming out now to overcome these limitations.  The
  Frecom fax board (which sends AND receives faxes - but has no modem
  [$195 from Fremont Communications, Fremont, CA]) has announced a product
  to send a faithful reproduction of fonts that would be produced by an
  HP Laserjet II.  This product has not yet been delivered, and will only
  work with their software (I suppose).  Also, Bit Software is supposed to
  have a product that intercepts the stream going to the printer, and will
  then send that; I have no knowledge of how that works, or with what
  models of printer.  So, the answer to the second inquiry is that you'll
  probably have to print to an ASCII file, then send that with the fax
  card, at least for now.

  The only glitch I have run into so far is this:  I have the Zoom
  modem/fax card in one 80286 machine, and the Frecom Fax96 fax card in
  another almost identical PC.  When I attempt to fax from the Zoom
  modem/fax to the Frecom Fax96, the cover sheet transmits, but the
  process aborts before the actual fax contents are sent.  Tried several
  times, then referred the problem to tech support at Frecom and Bit
  Software . . . no answer on that yet.

  I have sent numerous faxes to the world at large, and haven't had a
  failure yet.  I think these fax boards are great!

  BTW, JDR has a BBS --- 408-559-0253.  I have no connection with them,
  and in fact, bought my modems elsewhere (these last to at the West
  Coast Computer Faire).  I have purchased other things from them, and
  found them to be a pleasure to deal with.

  Tom Seeba
  seeba@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
  You can FAX me at 415-755-4522

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (03/23/90)

In article <9495@shlump.nac.dec.com>, sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:
> JDR Microdevices (1-800-538-5000) has a combined 2400 baud modem
> 4800 baud fax card for PC XT's and AT's, for $119.95
> It's described as 4800 baud Group 3 transmit only fax,
> 2400 baud V.22bis modem
> Has anyone used this card ? What are your opinions about the modem
> part : is it actually Hayes compatible, or close, and can regular
> comm packages use it easily ?

   The modem part is Hayes compatable.  I use it with Procomm 2.43 to
connect to our mainframe.  I haven't had any trouble with it (knock on
wood) as a modem, but the fax part has yet to work.  More on that in a
bit.

> About the fax part, I do my letters on a Brother HR15 daisywheel printer
> (it's said to be Diablo 630 compatible). If I have a file with Brother
> specific escape codes (f.i. to set characters per inch pitch),
> will the fax card software send a faithful replica ? (I don't mind
> if it's not the same font).

   It is supposed to send ascii text, pcx (from PC Paintbrush), tiff
(from Windows or scanners), img (Gem Artline or Ventura), or fax (from a
fax program).  The file from your printer will probably show up as if
you had used the DOS command TYPE to look at it.
   I use probably because I haven't gotten the FAX part to work.  The
tech line they have is helpful (when I can get through) and they think
they have found the problem on it.  I have had to call about a dozen
times, luckily its an 800 number.  They are sending me a new ROM that
is supposed to fix it.  I would advise anyone to hold off on purchasing
it till we see if it works.  I'll post a follow up when I get the chip
and install it.
    Hope this helps.  Good luck...
					Pete
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

RREED@UCF1VM.BITNET (03/24/90)

I would seriously doubt that they have implemented the process of picking up
the control codes for printers.  I would also guess that the software, as far
as sending text documents, would support maybe one or two popular word
word processing formats (i.e. Word Perfect 5.0, Wordstar, etc.) and straight
ASCII text.  These are only guesses, because I have not actually tried the
software myself.  Why don't you give JDR's technical staff a call and find out
exactly what you would be getting?

Reginald Reed
rreed@ucf1vm.bitnet

sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) (03/24/90)

In article <5292@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, seeba@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) writes...
>In article <9495@shlump.nac.dec.com> sreekanth@rgb.dec.com
>(Jon Sreekanth) writes:
>>
>>JDR Microdevices (1-800-538-5000) has a combined 2400 baud modem
>>4800 baud fax card for PC XT's and AT's, for $119.95
>>
>>It's described as 4800 baud Group 3 transmit only fax,
>>2400 baud V.22bis modem
>>
>>It does not say the magic words Hayes compatible.
>>
>  The JDR modem/fax card is made by Prometheus, to the best of my
>  knowledge.  I have a 2400 bps Prometheus modem, and it IS Hayes

Actually, the ad says this card is made by Modular Circuit Technology,
the same company that makes clone boards. The ad also shows two
other modems (not fax-modems), one by MCT, and the other a Prometheus.
Maybe you were thinking of those cards.

>  faxes at 4800 bps.  These fax cards will send ASCII files, and
>  usually work with graphic files in TIFf and PCX formats, but those
>  details are software dependent.  A word processor file will generally
>  not work, because the software may not be set up to recognize the
>  embedded codes, or the escape characters that are being sent to the
>  printer.  Software is coming out now to overcome these limitations.  The
..
>  models of printer.  So, the answer to the second inquiry is that you'll
>  probably have to print to an ASCII file, then send that with the fax
>  card, at least for now.

Yes, but if I printed to an ascii file, it would probably lose information
like characters per inch pitch, vertical line spacing, etc., all of which
I've optimised for my daisywheel printer. Does anyone know of an
inexpensive or public domain program that emulates a (diablo 630) printer,
and generates a graphic file format ?