[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mixing DRAM speeds

djw@hpldsla.HP.COM (03/21/90)

A friend of mine just added a 2 meg bank of 1megx1bit  80ns DRAM
to his 80286, NEAT chip set clone.  The  computer  already had a
1/2 meg bank of 256kx1bit 120ns DRAM.

He configured the memory controller (is that right??) for 120ns
memory.

So, all  should  work  fine, and he should  get 2.5 megs  with a
speed of 120ns - right?

Wrong, it just hangs, and won't boot.

What's the problem here?  Is it something to do with the refresh
times?  That is,  maybe  the  80ns  drams  need to be  refreshed
faster than 120ns setting will do?

He's  just  going to  continue  with 2 megs for now, but this is
puzzling,  and it would be nice to use the  other  1/2 meg  (the
extra speed is not as important).

thanks for your advice,

David Williams
Hewlett-Packard Scientific Instruments Division (SID) /\___________
1601 California Ave, Palo Alto, CA, USA. /\______________/\________
phone: 415 857 6100. FAX: 415 852 8011  //\\____________|__________
HP-UX Mail:  djw@hpldsla.hp.com         /  \____/\____/\___________
HPdesk:     (djw)hpldsla/HP1900/00     /\____________/  \__________

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/22/90)

In article <2340003@hpldsla.HP.COM>, djw@hpldsla.HP.COM writes:
> A friend of mine just added a 2 meg bank of 1megx1bit  80ns DRAM
> to his 80286, NEAT chip set clone.  The  computer  already had a
> 1/2 meg bank of 256kx1bit 120ns DRAM.
>
> He configured the memory controller (is that right??) for 120ns
> memory.
>
> So, all  should  work  fine, and he should  get 2.5 megs  with a
> speed of 120ns - right?

    The problem may be that the chip set cannot handle mixing two
bank sizes.  My chip set is different, but I know that it will only
allow either all 256K-wide or all 1M-wide memory modules.
    In general, I think DRAM's with different speeds are like CPU's
with different speeds - a faster DRAM simply passed a more stringent
quality control test.  I think this applies to 80ns vs 120ns chips,
**where the chip design is the same**.  However, 256K chips may have
different refresh requirements from 1M chips, even at the SAME speed.
I don't know whether this is true or not.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/24/90)

In article <2340003@hpldsla.HP.COM> djw@hpldsla.HP.COM writes:
|A friend of mine just added a 2 meg bank of 1megx1bit  80ns DRAM
|to his 80286, NEAT chip set clone.  The  computer  already had a
|1/2 meg bank of 256kx1bit 120ns DRAM.

From what I can tell, the so-called NEAT chip set can not handle this.
You need 36 chips of one kind before you can put in a different
kind. This is due to their bank interleave "feature".

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,