[net.movies] Defense of Dave Letterman

lsk@otuxa.UUCP (05/02/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 delta 4/26/83; site burl.UUCP
Path:burl!sb1!ll1!otuxa!lsk
Date:Mon, 2-May-83 10:24:44 EDT

Charly Kline raised various questions about turning a friendship into
a relationship.
I would like to comment about his questions regarding "holding hands with
a friend", etc.

Some people in this world are very "touch oriented". They are very relaxed
about giving and receiving "tactile events" (e.g. a hug, a kiss).

Others are very uncomfortable in this situation.

If we have any followers of Leo Buscaglia (sp?) [ who is an excellent
advocate of touching, etc. ] he has developed a method that can help
you determine this, at least when shaking hands with someone.

He suggests that when you shake hands, you place your left hand on the
person's shoulder. If this bothers them, you just let it slip and continue
the hand shake. If it doesn't bother them, he suggests "going all the way" and
just gather them in for a nice hug.

Personally, if you really are worried about the transition between
friendship and relationship, try some contact. This can be just
a touch on the shoulder to emphasize a point in conversation, etc.

Actually, I think it is sad that we sometimes categorize. Why does
the choice have to be "This is a friend therefore it can't be a relationship"
or "I have to act different because I want this to be a relationship and
not a friendship"?  I know it exists, but I don't agree with it.
Somehwere along the line you better LIKE each other, i.e. have friendship,
or else nothing much is going to happen anyway.

-larry s. kaufman