[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MFM on RLL?

paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) (03/14/90)

Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a 40Mbyte
MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte RLL. (Gateway). I
know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free, I wouldn't
mind...Thanks much.

Mark

--
| Albert Einstein got his name after he got| Mark D. Kakatsch                 |
| smashed from drinking only one stein of  | paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu         |

wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) (03/14/90)

In article <2881@uwm.edu> paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a 40Mbyte
>MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte RLL. (Gateway). I
>know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free, I wouldn't
>mind...Thanks much.

Try it--you might like it!  You will know in a hurry if the media
can not be formatted to the increased density, besides the price is
certainally right.

Good luck,

BiLL.....

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (03/14/90)

paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a 40Mbyte
>MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte RLL. (Gateway). I
>know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free, I wouldn't
>mind...Thanks much.

Yes it can, but you will get mixed answers on the reliability of the
configuration.  I personally would NEVER hook an MFM drive to an RLL
controller.  Some will say it will work, but it's not worth the chance.  Now
since you've got the drive for free, you might be willing to chance it.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) (03/14/90)

On 13 Mar 90 21:28:01 GMT,
paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) said:

Mark> Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a
Mark> 40Mbyte MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte
Mark> RLL. (Gateway). I know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but
Mark> since it would be free, I wouldn't mind...Thanks much.

Very simply, the answer is: "No, not reliably."  IOW, go for it. :-)
RLL is tough on drives.  If you have a drive that's made for MFM, but
it's really tough, it may handle RLL.  For instance, my roommate
recently got an old DEC Rainbow with a 10 meg MFM drive.  That
computer and the drive in it had been sitting in a snow bank for a
week before he bought it.  I have a feeling it could probably handle
RLL.

However, for the average PC drive, chances are that if it was built
tough enough to be an RLL, it *would* be an RLL.  Therefore I suspect
that forcing an MFM to do RLL is pretty risky.

--
/*********/
     Paul Caskey

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/15/90)

In article <1828@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>>Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller?
>>know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free,...
>>

>Yes it can, but you will get mixed answers on the reliability of the
>configuration.  I personally would NEVER hook an MFM drive to an RLL
>controller.

   At risk of starting up, again, the perpetual arguement on this subject, I'll
add the following.  I have run disk intensive, real world applications on 386
systems that have had the interleave optimized for that system & not, and have
measured the following. 1. The transfer speed difference between mfm & rll is
a very small factor in the big scheme.  2. The track to track & access times
are a MUCH bigger factor in the big scheme.
   I too wouldn't do a MFM with a RLL either, but have in a spinch & would only
say the following 3 things.
1. seagate has several drives that they specify are RLL only & 'claim' they
   be 'damaged' by mfm use.
2. Try it, if it works & runs read/write diagnostics for a couple days non stop
   without errors, it probably will be fine for a long time a average use.
3. No matter what, you should keep up to date backups of your hard disk files.

al

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/15/90)

I am running a Segate 225 and a friend is running a Segate 4096, both of
which are MFM drives with RLL encoding.  We are both ussing Western Digital
1006VSR2(1:1 interleave RLL controllers). We both have had no problems with
disk errors after months of operation.

                                              Brent H. Besler

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (03/15/90)

In article <2881@uwm.edu> paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a 40Mbyte
>MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte RLL. (Gateway). I
>know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free, I wouldn't
>mind...Thanks much.
>
>Mark
>
>--
>| Albert Einstein got his name after he got| Mark D. Kakatsch                 |
>| smashed from drinking only one stein of  | paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu         |
>| beer. Hence; Albert EinStein.            | ...uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!paravia       |

Mark,
An MFM controller formats to 17 sectors per cylinder. An RLL formats to 34
sectors per cylinder. It also increases the number of cylinders per platter.
You can use an RLL controller with an MFM disk, but be advised: the higher
density format on the low density media runs a greatly increased risk of lost
data. Formatting a higher density drive to a lower density format does not
run this risk. I have formatted a Seagate ST-225 (MFM, 21MB) with an RLL
card to 32MB. It stored data without error and still runs today. But I keep
it all backed up, understanding the risks involved.

--
    Tom Fortner
    Christian Medical & Dental Society

in540-13@cs.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson MEDNET) (03/16/90)

In article <1828@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>>Can an MFM drive be connected to an RLL controller? I can get a 40Mbyte
>>MFM drive for free, but I've got a '386 w/ an 65Mbyte RLL. (Gateway). I
>>know that MFM is pretty slow for a 386, but since it would be free, I wouldn't
>>mind...Thanks much.
>
>Yes it can, but you will get mixed answers on the reliability of the
>configuration.  I personally would NEVER hook an MFM drive to an RLL
>controller.  Some will say it will work, but it's not worth the chance.  Now
>since you've got the drive for free, you might be willing to chance it.

It's better to ask if a specific drive can use RLL. Many MFM-drives cant
use RLL, other can do it perfectly.

I've tested some drives:

NEC 5126.	Runs RLL perfectly, I've used two NEC5126 in my AT since 1988
		with RLL and the works well.
Seagate ST251	Runs RLL without problems. But I've run the drive with RLL
		few weeks.
BASF 6188 (12Mbyte) Runs RLL without problems.
NEC 5146. 	Uses same media as 5126. Works well with RLL.
IBM 44 and 65 Mbyte (old unknown full height drives made by IBM).Works with RLL.
Microscience HH-1050. Works with RLL but are currently under testing at my
		AT at home. No problems with RLL yet.

CMI 6640	Can't use RLL. But some works with other controllers than my
		DTC 5270.
Seagate ST4051  Can't use RLL. Perstor says that ST4051 should work with their
		controller. I can't use them with RLL. (I bought some ST4051's
		for only $20 each :-) Shall use them in my UNIX-machine)

Seagate ST225	Newer can use RLL. Older cannot. I've an old ST225 who was
		built by pieces from an crached ST238R and a very old ST225
		with damaged card. The media from the old ST225 works very
		well with the newer ST238R card.

In article <2450@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

| 1. seagate has several drives that they specify are RLL only & 'claim' they
|    be 'damaged' by mfm use.

  True. I don't believe that they will be damaged, but they won't honor
the warantee if you can't make it RLL and it will MFM.

| 2. Try it, if it works & runs read/write diagnostics for a couple days non stop
|    without errors, it probably will be fine for a long time a average use.

  Extremely true. I have founf that the Western Digital hard disk format
and test program (the program, not the stuff in ROM) will really beat a
disk, and if five passes of that surface scan don't find a problem, you
are unlikely to see one.

| 3. No matter what, you should keep up to date backups of your hard disk files.

  Totally and completely true. You should always have a backup of any
hard disk in every case.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

In article <148@cms2.UUCP> tomf@cms2.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

| Mark,
| An MFM controller formats to 17 sectors per cylinder. An RLL formats to 34
| sectors per cylinder. It also increases the number of cylinders per platter.

  MFM is 17 sectors per track, RLL is 26 sectors, ARLL is 31, ERLL is
34. As far as I know only Perstor is selling commercial controllers
which do more than 26. This is why you went from 21MB to 32MB instead
of 42MB. I have never seen any claim of added cylinders, not any sign of
it in terms of capacity. Please state a source for this enlightening
information.

|                I have formatted a Seagate ST-225 (MFM, 21MB) with an RLL
| card to 32MB. It stored data without error and still runs today. But I keep
| it all backed up, understanding the risks involved.

  Your information seems to confirm what I said.

jt19840@tut.fi (Tuomi Jyrki Juhani) (03/19/90)

In article <645@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <148@cms2.UUCP> tomf@cms2.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>
>| Mark,
>| An MFM controller formats to 17 sectors per cylinder. An RLL formats to 34
>| sectors per cylinder. It also increases the number of cylinders per platter.
>
>  MFM is 17 sectors per track, RLL is 26 sectors, ARLL is 31, ERLL is
>34. As far as I know only Perstor is selling commercial controllers
>which do more than 26. This is why you went from 21MB to 32MB instead

The formatting routine included in the on-board BIOS of my WD1006V-SR2
has several built-in drive types (a la AT SETUP).  It also allows user-
defined drive parameters, and then asks for NUMBER OF SECTORS (26 OR 31).
I didn't go for 31, as I am quite satisfied with 26 s/t on my ST251-1
(running RLL just fine for the 20th month...)

--

Jyrki Tuomi
Internet:  jt19840@tut.fi    UUCP:  ..mcvax!tut!jt19840

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/20/90)

In article <645@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <148@cms2.UUCP> tomf@cms2.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>
>| Mark,
>| An MFM controller formats to 17 sectors per cylinder. An RLL formats to 34
>| sectors per cylinder. It also increases the number of cylinders per platter.
>
>  MFM is 17 sectors per track, RLL is 26 sectors, ARLL is 31, ERLL is
>34. As far as I know only Perstor is selling commercial controllers
>which do more than 26. This is why you went from 21MB to 32MB instead

Western Digital's WD1006 has a manual setup that includes 31 sectors per track.
When I asked about this on the net a couple of months ago, no one knew
anything about it.  Who makes drives that will do 31 sectors per track?

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

In article <3129@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

| Western Digital's WD1006 has a manual setup that includes 31 sectors per track.
| When I asked about this on the net a couple of months ago, no one knew
| anything about it.  Who makes drives that will do 31 sectors per track?

  I *believe* this is an artifact from using the same ROM program in
their MFM, RLL, and ESDI controllers. Don't take that as gospel, but I
think that's the story.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX