[comp.sys.ibm.pc] New Version, PKZIP!

tim@lakesys.lakesys.com (Timothy Winslow) (03/25/90)

As of about 5PM, this last Thursday Eve., March 22, 1990, Phil Katz has a new
version of PKZIP/PKUNZIP.  The new version is PKZ110.  His new implode has a
slight edge over the older one.  I had about 4M worth of ZIPped files, and this
came down to 3.3M, when rezipped!  I have seen compressions of 98%!  It is
available on the PKWare Support board @ 414-352-7176.  I am also sure it is
available via Compuserv and a few other places.  Since I am not at a place
where I can set it up for ftp, I can not have it available to you.  Also,
the speed of compression has again increased.  I don't know how he does it,
but he does!  The program is already available on most of Milwaukee's BBS's
(as Milwaukee is Phil Katz's home area.)  So, if you can't get on PKWare BBS,
most IBM Milwaukee ones will have it.

--
Timothy Winslow/N9ICD                                          To
tim@lakesys.lakesys.com                                        Each

ajayshah@nunki.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (03/25/90)

In article <1784@lakesys.lakesys.com> tim@lakesys.lakesys.com (Timothy Winslow) writes:
>As of about 5PM, this last Thursday Eve., March 22, 1990, Phil Katz has a new
>version of PKZIP/PKUNZIP.  The new version is PKZ110.  His new implode has a

further,
>where I can set it up for ftp, I can not have it available to you.  Also,

Can you post just pkzip and pkunzip in uuencoded form on
comp.sys.binaries.ibm or here?

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

jkg@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (03/25/90)

In article <8791@chaph.usc.edu> ajayshah@nunki.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>Can you post just pkzip and pkunzip in uuencoded form on
>comp.sys.binaries.ibm or here?

Please do *not* post it "here" (in comp.sys.ibm.pc) - comp.binaries.ibm.pc
is the appropriate place for such postings.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

brentley_r_smith@pansy.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/26/90)

In article <1784@lakesys.lakesys.com> tim@lakesys.lakesys.com (Timothy Winslow) writes:
>As of about 5PM, this last Thursday Eve., March 22, 1990, Phil Katz has a new
>version of PKZIP/PKUNZIP.  The new version is PKZ110.  His new implode has a

I just wanted to inform everyone that although the new version is a little
bit to a lotta bit faster, his revamped implode method seems to be 100%
compatible with ver 1.02.  1.02 will unzip a file that was zipped by 1.10!
The documentation doesn't mention this (as far as could could tell) so I
thot I'd let y'all know.

Brentley Smith
bsmith@cis.ohio-state.edu