[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Killing the 4DOS beep

hall@cs.odu.edu (Randolph Ted Hall) (03/23/90)

There has been some talk on the net of how annoying the 4dos beeps are when
it loads.  Here is a patch that will get rid of them.  This patch still leaves
the non-registration information in the program and that sould stay there.
If the registered version also beeps, this patch will fix it too.

1. Search 4DOS286.EXE for E6 61. (with something like PC-Tools)
2. replace E6 61 with 90 90.
3. find next occourance of E6 61 and replace it with 90 90 also.
4. repeat steps 1-3 for 4DOS88.EXE.

REMEMBER:

Do not distribute modified copies of the program.

Note:

Since this is the machine code command to turn on the speaker, you
could effectivly search any program that makes noise and replace
these bytes to silence it.

.                                                Randy Hall
.                                                hall@xanth.cs.odu.edu

jrwsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) (03/26/90)

In article <11912@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, hall@cs.odu.edu (Randolph Ted Hall) writes:
> 1. Search 4DOS286.EXE for E6 61. (with something like PC-Tools)
> 2. replace E6 61 with 90 90.
> 3. find next occourance of E6 61 and replace it with 90 90 also.
> 4. repeat steps 1-3 for 4DOS88.EXE.
>
> Since this is the machine code command to turn on the speaker, you
> could effectivly search any program that makes noise and replace
> these bytes to silence it.

This sounds like a VERY BAD idea to me, as you can't guarantee that every
occurance of E6 61 is actually the code to turn on the speaker; it could be
data, or the E6 could be the tail end of one command and the 61 the beginning
of another (I don't know if 61 is an actual op code or not)!  I suggest
extreme caution in applying this trick.

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu (Internet address)

sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (03/26/90)

In article <4014@nmtsun.nmt.edu> jrwsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) writes:
>In article <11912@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, hall@cs.odu.edu (Randolph Ted Hall) writes:
>> [text deleted on how to kill beeps]
>
>This sounds like a VERY BAD idea to me, as you can't guarantee that every
>occurance of E6 61 is actually the code to turn on the speaker; it could be
>data, or the E6 could be the tail end of one command and the 61 the beginning
>of another (I don't know if 61 is an actual op code or not)!  I suggest
>extreme caution in applying this trick.

In the case of 4dos it did work for me.  There were only two cases of that
pattern in the files 4dos88 and 4dos286, and they were the two beeps, and
now I don't have that problem.  For those who asked why don't I just register,
I would like to point out that I did state I had just installed it, so I
am still trying it out, as I am allowed to, but I still don't like the beeps.

Dan Schikore
sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu