[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm - - Something Better?

consp06@bingsunf.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) (03/20/90)

I have been using Procomm Plus for a while now, and I really REALLY like
it.  One thing that I DON'T like, although this is just a limitation of
my own lack of abilities, is the lack of protocols for it.  So, here are
my questions:

0)  The ` key activates a 123 style menu.  How do I set this key to be
something else?  I occasionally find need for that key within a session.

1)  How do I get ZMODEM or any other protocol installed in PCPLUS?

2)  If I were to replace PCPLUS with another program, which should it
be?  I would like to have much of the same LARGE variety of commands and
large customization, including expanded macros, editor, screen recall,
etc.  I have heard much about Telix (sp?) and is that worth the download?

				Thank you for bearing with me.

								-Rob Konigsberg

consp10@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Sanjay Hiranandani) (03/20/90)

In article <3171@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp06@bingsunf.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:
>2)  If I were to replace PCPLUS with another program, which should it
>be?  I would like to have much of the same LARGE variety of commands and
>large customization, including expanded macros, editor, screen recall,
>etc.  I have heard much about Telix (sp?) and is that worth the download?

Rob,

I was a procomm fan too, until I started using Telix. It uses key
sequences that are very similar to procomm.. has some spiffy sounds..
supports Zmodem, and other protocols, and more.
Better yet, you don't have to download it.. I can give you a copy in
person  :)

Try it out.

>				Thank you for bearing with me.
	You're welcome.

>								-Rob Konigsberg
	Sanjay Hiranandani

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (03/20/90)

In article <3174@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp10@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Sanjay Hiranandani) writes...
>I was a procomm fan too, until I started using Telix. It uses key
>sequences that are very similar to procomm.. has some spiffy sounds..
>supports Zmodem, and other protocols, and more.

I downloaded Telix, tried it, liked it, until I fould out that I could
not use the small keypad to get the complete emulation of VT100/102
(e.g, to use EDT).  Procomm Plus lets me do it easily by just enabling
the NumLock key.  Is there anything similar in Telix?

---
Leo Simon	simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com
		--or-- ...!pwrvax!hpstek.enet.dec.com!simon
		--or-- simon%pwrvax.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, doesn't have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, doesn't have a brain.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/21/90)

In article <3171@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp06@bingsunf.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:
$1)  How do I get ZMODEM or any other protocol installed in PCPLUS?

   Two solutions:

a) Wait for the next version, which supposedly will include ZMODEM
b) Find an external ZMODEM program (there are at least two around, and
   likely more) and install it as an external protocol.  That's what the
   external protocols are there for.

$2)  If I were to replace PCPLUS with another program, which should it
$be?  I would like to have much of the same LARGE variety of commands and
$large customization, including expanded macros, editor, screen recall,
$etc.  I have heard much about Telix (sp?) and is that worth the download?

   Yes, it is worth your time to at least try Telix out.  I don't have
too much experience with it, but it has a wide range of protocols (including
ZMODEM), a script language, a variable-size screen buffer, key remapping,
and a whole load of other stuff.  The latest version (3.12) came across
comp.binaries.ibm.pc a few days ago, and should also be available on many
BBSs and FTP sites.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/21/90)

In article <9409@shlump.nac.dec.com> simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:
>I downloaded Telix, tried it, liked it, until I fould out that I could
>not use the small keypad to get the complete emulation of VT100/102
>(e.g, to use EDT).  Procomm Plus lets me do it easily by just enabling
>the NumLock key.  Is there anything similar in Telix?

Yes.  You need to change the keydefs for the vt102 emulation.  In the Telix
distribution, there are two files; the default one (VT102.KEY) is for an XT
keyboard.  The other one is called VT102ALT.KEY.  Just switch the names and
you will be able to use the keypad.

pelegrin@geocub.greco-prog.fr (03/21/90)

	I used Procomm, then someone gave me Qmodem, which seems to be
more efficient (yes, is is possible !). As it is a shareware, try it too
and make your mind...

					f.p.

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (03/21/90)

> 0)  The ` key activates a 123 style menu.  How do I set this key to be
> something else?  I occasionally find need for that key within a session.

You can change it by hitting ALT-S to enter the SETUP program.  From there,
select GENERAL OPTIONS, and look at option K: Menu line key.

> 1)  How do I get ZMODEM or any other protocol installed in PCPLUS?

Again, go to the setup menu.  Under PROTOCOL options, you'll notice a bunch of
things like EXTERN1.  You must replace this with the filename of the separate
program protocol.  Since most external protocols are one program, and Procomm
only allows you one filename, you should replace EXTERN1 with a batch file
name that sets the appropriate switches (IE, ZMODEM -R %1) and inacts the
program.

The last may prove to be difficult.  Read the manual coming with your external
protocol (a good one is DSZ, a zmodem replacement).  You will probably have to
browse the Procomm manual too.  I did it only once, but the copy of DSZ I had
was flawed, and I haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Good luck on finding another communications program.  I am quite satisfied
with Procomm.  Hope you find what you're looking for!

Eric W. Lund *DISCLAIMER "Disclaimers are for weak people."* Prodigy: xcbr22b
UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund *COWS FOR RENT* ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com ** ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/24/90)

In article <1765@geocub.greco-prog.fr> goofi!pelegrin@geocub.UUCP (Francois Pellegrini) writes:

|	I used Procomm, then someone gave me Qmodem, which seems to be
|more efficient (yes, is is possible !).

As someone who switched from Procomm to Qmodem, I want to point
out that doing a simple login script under Qmodem is MUCH easier
under Qmodem. Plus you can sort your dialing directory.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/25/90)

In article <29602@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1765@geocub.greco-prog.fr> goofi!pelegrin@geocub.UUCP (Francois Pellegrini) writes:
>|	I used Procomm, then someone gave me Qmodem, which seems to be
>|more efficient (yes, is is possible !).
>
>As someone who switched from Procomm to Qmodem, I want to point
>out that doing a simple login script under Qmodem is MUCH easier
>under Qmodem. Plus you can sort your dialing directory.

I do not disagree, but you can sort your dialing directory in
Procomm as well.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

JDB107@psuvm.psu.edu (John Buckwalter) (03/27/90)

Also, about Qmodem, it will allow cursor control when logged into CompuServe,
something which ProComm Plus doesn't allow.