[comp.sys.ibm.pc] int 28h

src@cup.portal.com (03/15/88)

The recent series of articles in Computer Language magazine that describe
writing TSR programs with Turbo and Microsoft C states that when DOS is
waiting for a keystroke, it makes frequent calls to interrupt 28h.
Unfortunately, there is no explanation of what INT 28h does.  Ray Duncan's
"Advanced MS-DOS" book classifies INT 28h as one of the "Reserved"
interrupts.  Can someone please shed some light on INT 28H for me?  Thanks.

Steve Calwas                            src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                         ..!sun!cup.portal.com!src

rfm%urth@Sun.COM (Richard McAllister) (03/16/88)

In article <3899@cup.portal.com> src@cup.portal.com writes:

>... when DOS is waiting for a keystroke, it makes frequent calls to
>interrupt 28h.  Unfortunately, there is no explanation of what INT 28h
>does.  Ray Duncan's "Advanced MS-DOS" book classifies INT 28h as one of the
>"Reserved" interrupts.  Can someone please shed some light on INT 28H for
>me?  Thanks.

According to the MS-DOS Encyclopedia, INT 28h as supplied does nothing (it's
just an IRET.)  It's there for TSRs to rip off if they want to steal some
cycles during idle times.  (I've heard that the PC-DOS PRINT spooler works
this way.)

Rich

root@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Privileged Account) (03/27/90)

Hello there,

Can anyone tell me how often dos calls int 28h?
I know this interrupt can be used for printer spooling, but I would
like to use it for some other purposes.
Initially it just performs an IRET. Maybe someone can help me.

Thanks anyway.

Greetings from Holland:					John Graat
							University of Nymegen
							The Netherlands.